LAN/Internet access

Guest abijah

I've tried to install mandrake 10.0 on separate occasions using Virtual PC 2004 and VWware Workstation on a Microsoft winXP host. I've been unsuccessful at getting access to my LAN and browsing the internet. On the start-up when when Mandrake is "checking for new hardware", there's an "interface eth0 [failed]" message.

I'm a novice Unix and Linux user, could someone please help me.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Sure!

Are you booting ok, other than the error (really common, not important, by the way!) Can you log in to a user? Is you lan dhcp or fixed ip? Is it a windows server? How is the internet distributed in the network? Are you comfortable with the command line, or do you prefer gui?

Lots of questions :D Give us some answers and I'm sure we'll get you going.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Ixthusdan,

Sorry to jump on the thread, but I'm having a similar issue.

I have Mandrake 10.0 installed on a Virtual PC. I can ping my router's IP without any issue, but cannot resolve addresses outside my network.

Once I configured DHCP access, the eth0 adapter boots up OK after a small delay, so my answers to your questions would be;

1. I can log on as a user

2. As above, the LAN is DHCP

3. No, not a server - standalone PC

4. ADSL Internet access is distributed on a LAN via a router

5. I couldn't be more of a NEWBIE to Linux (!), so a GUI walkthrough would be preferable, but I can use the command line if this makes the solution more straightforward.

Look forward to your reply,

-P

Have you checked the entries in /etc/resolv.conf? That's where Linux stores info on the DNS servers it will use to resolve domains to IPs. It seems to be I had an issue with this under VMWare and had to go in and manually enter the IP of the DNS server.

• 2 months later...
Guest wizrd66

Greetings, sorru to interject... I am new and I am having Similar Network problems. I am running XP SP2. VM ware 4.5. I have installed Mandrake 10.0 as a guest. It has a virtual drive. I cannot ping anything except 127.0.0.1. It says that the Lan is not installed. Ether0 is configured. I have DSL with a router. I even tried setting up a static IP. With no results. On DHCP is doesn't find an IP. I new to Unix and VMware so I am limited on my ability to trouble shoot this issue. Seem that the virtual network card it not seeing the network at all. Any help would be apreciated...

:thanks: