Customizing KDE Task Bar

GodFlesh

hi,

I use KDE because i love kde apps, but i don't like too much the "desktop look" in itself.

I like a translucent launcher and this works nice.

My grief is about the KDE task bar : i can't make it translucent. Minimized windows appear in colors at the bottom of my screen and that's ugly !

I would like to find a way to have a tranlucent task bar, with only colored icons (and text)

1 - I didnt' find a way to do that in KDE. Is there one ?

2- I tried pypanel that looked like it would do what i want, but it doesn't support kde. Do you know of any alternative to kde to do this ?

Thanks

V

maybe this would be something you'd be interested in, too...........

Kleardock

Kleardock in action..............

(click below image/link for full screen view)

desktopmon5small.jpg

that's Kleardock on the bottom. kicker is running (it has too), but it's completely hidden at the top of my screen. it will only appear if i mouse hover over it.

Chris

Edited by chris z

When you refer to the Docker, are you referring to what others call the Panel.???

If you are and you want it transparent then why don't you right click on the Panel then select ....................>Configure Panel ......................>Layout ...........>Appearance ........> Panel Background and then put a tick (USA=check) in the box titled "Enable transparency"

Is that what you were after???

Cheers. John.

When you refer to the Docker, are you referring to what others call the Panel.???

If you are and you want it transparent then why don't you right click on the Panel then select ....................>Configure Panel ......................>Layout ...........>Appearance ........> Panel Background      and then put a tick (USA=check) in the box titled  "Enable transparency"

That doesnt make task entries transparent, which is what he clearly describes in his first post

To make it more clear, what i don't want anymore is the grey boxes on the bottom of the right part of my screen.

ecran1.png

Sorry for my poort English, but i'm french, and guessing the good english name for this king of things is not so natural...

Edited by GodFlesh

ok................ you can't remove kicker. it needs to be running. but.......... you can hide the ugly little bugger, like you see (or don't see, as the case may be) in my screenie. it looks like you have Kleardock running now (right? wrong?). anywho, to hide Kicker, do the following.........

(note: Kicker will still be accessible after doing this. you just need to hover your mouse over where it's hidden.)

right click the star in kicker->panel menu->configure panel. on the "arrangement" tab, click one of the position buttons for where you want it located. (hint........ position it somewhere that you don't have desktop icons, else it will overlap the icons if you mouse hover over it.) you can also adjust the panel length & size settings here if you want. (i have mine set to the smallest settings.)

next, click the "hiding" tab. check the "hide automatically" box & set it to "immediately" after the cursor leaves the panel. in "panel-hiding buttons", uncheck both boxes ("show left/right panel-hiding"). uncheck the "animate panel hiding" box.

click "apply"->"ok".......... walla! Kicker be gone!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer and your detailled explanations.

Like you see i've got a xinerama setup on two 19" monitors, so space is not the problem.

I usually have a lot of windows open, and i would like to continue to be able to see which windows are minimized at the glance of an eye !

So making the docker disaper like you offer provides more eye candy, but prevent me from seing rapidly what is minimized...

So i would prefer to continue to have the docker next to kicker, but i'm just looking for a way to make it look more integrated in the rest of the desktop, with translucy.

May be one can desactivate the docker, to add a new one with translucy ?

May be this is doable in kde 3.3 ? (i'm in 3.2 from cooker)

I tried kxdocker.

Seems very nice, in fact it mimics OSX. but it change the whole kicker+docker, and does not support xinerama. So not so good.

I looked at cleardock and it does the same think.

May be i should try slicker ?