Skype [SOLVED]

ChrisM

I'm having problems unpackaging an rpm that I have downloaded.

I have downloaded Skype, the VoIP client as an rpm and created its own directory.

These are the install instructions from the Skype web site:

RPM version

1.Open console

2.Log on as superuser ("root")

3.Find the location where you saved the RPM

4.Enter the following command: "rpm -U skype-version.rpm", where skype-version.rpm is the name of the file you downloaded, such as skype-0_90_0_1.rpm.

The rpm is named "skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm" without apostrophe's.

This is the pathway to the rpm: /home/username/skype

I navigate the above pathway and open a Konsole and su/root, this is the result:

[root@localhost skype]# rpm-U skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm

bash: rpm-U: command not found

If I go back to the directory and if I double click on the rpm this is the result:

Some package requested cannot be installed:

skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libqt3[>= 3.2])

do you agree ?

Now, looking at a recent Linux Format magazine, the instructions are as follows:

Navigate to the correct directory and type rpm -i <skype.rpm> where <skype.rpm> is the name of the file download.

Notice, here it suggests "rpm -i" as oppossed to "rpm -U"

So, the results of using "i" instread of "U" are the same:

[root@localhost skype]# rpm-i skype/skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm

bash: rpm-i: command not found

It seems to me that the problem relates to the rpm comamnd? Or am I doing somehting so obviously stupid? (I'm still learning my way around Linux and haven't become confident with the command line yet. I've just been reading the Command Line Questions in the FAQ of this BB and it seems I will need to do so a few more times too!)

I'm using mdk 9.2 and the Skype web page suggests it is an rpm suitable for mdk 9 and newer.

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

After posting and re reading, I noted a typo:

[root@localhost skype]# rpm-U skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm

bash: rpm-U: command not found

There needed to be a space after the "# rpm" and before "-U"

So, I went back to Konsole, and re entered the instructions and this is the result (shown here using "U" and "i"):

[root@localhost skype]# rpm -U skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm

warning: skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID d66b746e

error: Failed dependencies:

libqt3 >= 3.2 is needed by skype-0.92.0.2-mdk

[root@localhost skype]# rpm -i skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm

warning: skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID d66b746e

libqt3 >= 3.2 is needed by skype-0.92.0.2-mdk

So, it seems the problem relates to failed dependencies. How do I resolve this? :unsure:

Cheers.

Edited by ChrisM

Use urpmi instead of the old outdated rpm commands. After proper setup Mandrake's urpmi will easily and automagically take care of finding, downloading and installing software and its dependencies. The "Software Installer" in Mandrake Control Center is a GUI frontend for urpmi, but it's very easy to use urpmi from the command line.

Basic urpmi usage tutorial, stuff that you probably already know, but, just in case...

To easily make the best use of urpmi, whether you use the GUI installer or urpmi from the command line, first go here:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Follow the easy directions to setup your online package sources. Choose them carefully, staying with sources for your particular Mandrake version. You'll want to add the main sources for your version, the 'contrib' mirror, the PLF repositories, maybe a few others. Warning: Add the 'Cooker' sources at your own risk. Cooker is the stuff still in testing for the next release and may or may not cause problems.

When finished with setting up your source mirrors, you can start using the real power of urpmi. You can install/uninstall a package by simply using the GUI installer, or in a terminal, 'su' to root, then:

# urpmi -v <packagename> ('-v' for verbose output is optional, but I like the extra info it provides)

where <packagename> is normally just the "simple" version, i.e. using the email client Mutt for example, instead of:

# urpmi -v mutt-1.4i-4mdk.i586.rpm

Use:

# urpmi -v mutt

Then urpmi will automagically go to the 'Net sources you choose, find and download the latest available Mutt RPM for your version of Mandrake, grab any other packages needed to resolve all dependencies and install everything in the correct order. If urpmi can't complete the install, either because all the required software isn't available on the mirrors you choose or possibly some other conflict(s), it will stop the install process before actual changes are made and give you some info about the problem.

Similarly, for packages you've downloaded and saved, just navigate to the directory where you saved them:

# cd /mysaved/rpm/ishere

Then (for this, you may need to use the full packagename):

# urpmi -v <packagename>

Uninstalling a package is simply 'urpme' instead of 'urpmi'.

Be aware that while using RPMs compiled for other versions of Mandrake or for other distros sometimes will work fine, they may not and the possibility for problems exists. Always try to use RPMs for your distro and version whenever possible, which in the case of Mandrake is almost always. If you must use a RedHat or other distro RPM, it's best to try a test install first, as in:

# urpmi -v --test <packagename>

This does a "dry run" to check if the package(s) can be sucessfully installed but without actually changing anything on the system. If all is well, remove the '--test' switch to install normally.

This should be enough to get you going. For more info, open a terminal and type 'man urpmi" or do some Googling. Lotsa info available.

Thanks for this Crashdamage

I had tried to urpmi without success. Heres a report from urpmi -v skype, last line confirms I can't urpmi. So, looks like I need to rpm - which still leaves me in the same position as my first 2 posts!

[root@localhost chris]# urpmi -v skype

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.jpackage.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-tmb-2.4.22.21.tmb.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-multimedia-2.4.22.21mm.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel2.4-marcelo-2.4.22-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel22-smp-2.2.20-9mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-linus2.2-2.2.25-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-p3-smp-64GB-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-secure-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-multimedia-smp-2.4.22.21mm.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-tmb-enterprise-2.4.22.21.tmb.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-secure-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-enterprise-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-p3-smp-64GB-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-smp-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-enterprise-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586

would install instead of upgrade package kernel-smp-2.4.22.37mdk-1-1mdk.i586

no package named skype

okay... :lol:

libqt3 >= 3.2 is needed by skype-0.92.0.2-mdk :deal: 

now, urpmi the qt-libraries. type "urpmi libqt". this should solve the first problem. once you have installed the qt-libraries, you should be able to install the rpm (e.g. by doubleclicking on it).

Edited by arctic

okay... :lol:

libqt3 >= 3.2 is needed by skype-0.92.0.2-mdk :deal: 

now, urpmi the qt-libraries. type "urpmi libqt". this should solve the first problem. once you have installed the qt-libraries, you should be able to install the rpm (e.g. by doubleclicking on it).

Thanks arctic - as I thought in my second message, it was due to a failure of dependencies. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction here.

I did as you suggested and did urpmi libqt

and this was the result:

# urpmi libqt

The following packages contain libqt:

libqt3

libqt3-devel

libqt3-mysql

libqt3-odbc

libqt3-psql

libqtc1

libqtc1-devel

libqtsharp0

libqtsharp0-devel

libqtvision1

libqtvision1-devel

I urpmi'd the first five libqt3's and double clicked the rpm download and still received the same failed depndencies error, so I attempted to urpmi the remainding six, however, after saying yes to a zillion dependencies, I got the following errors on the remainder of the libraries:

libqtcl:

The following packages have bad signatures:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtc1-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtc1-devel-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) n

libqtc1-devel

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtc1-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtc1-devel-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

libqtsharp0:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtsharp0-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

libqtsharp0-devel:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtsharp0-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtsharp0-devel-3.1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

libqtvision1:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtvision1-0.1-0.alpha1.6mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

libqtvision1-devel:

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtvision1-0.1-0.alpha1.6mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libqtvision1-devel-0.1-0.alpha1.6mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature (sha1 md5 OK)

so, double clicking on the rpm package still presents the following error:

Some package requested cannot be installed:

skype-0.92.0.2-mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libqt3[>= 3.2])

do you agree ?

I don't understand the greeater than or equal to 3.2 - what's this? Am I doing something stupidly incorrect here?

Cheers.

Well

I have installed via urpmi all the following

# urpmi libqt

The following packages contain libqt:

libqt3

libqt3-devel

libqt3-mysql

libqt3-odbc

libqt3-psql

libqtc1

libqtc1-devel

libqtsharp0

libqtsharp0-devel

libqtvision1

libqtvision1-devel

and double clicking on the rpm still reports the same error of failed dependancies

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

:screwy:

who shall understand that? hmm... just an idea: can you get your hands on a *.src.rpm of the program? if yes, you can recompile it fitting the libraries you just installed.

maybe it helps to reboot the machine before trying to install the "uninstallable rpm".

good luck. you deserve it. :D

Maybe you just need need a fresh start, sorta...

1st, before you tried to urpmi -v Skype, did you cd to the directory you saved it to? (see error "no package named skype")

2nd, find out what version of libqt you actually installed so to be sure it's a version new enough (libqt3 >= 3.2 i.e. equal to or newer than version libqt3.2). Do:

$ rpm -q libqt

Probably you have installed the wrong version of libqt. You may have to unistall the present libqt first to make everything work. If so, urpmi should tell you, but that might be a little much to ask. It's very good, but not perfect - yet.

3rd, if you have installed a version of libqt that's too old (<3.2) check the sources you setup for urpmi. You may have choosen sources that don't have a version new enough.

The Skype rpm you have is a Mandrake one so it should install with urpmi. If you cd to the directory Skype is saved to and urpmi it from there, and have choosen your urpmi sources carefully, urpmi should find, download and install libqt3 >=3.2 and all other dependencies for you. When you think you have everything set so it should work, try installing with the '--test' swtich first, so you don't install lotsa useless stuff for nothing.

:o

Thanks to all for the feedback, seems there's a few things to check out. I'm still in noob-land so it might take me a little while to work my way through all the advise :unsure:

Will post back in a few days - I really want to use this programme, and have a friend who swears by it (though he's on M$).

Cheers.

ChrisM,

I think the problem is in the Qt version: If i'm correct you have installed Qt3.1.3 but Skype requires =>3.2

Your post earlier said:

You first didn't manage to install (the y/n-problem) but after some instructions you did. Yet it is too old version for skype.

I don't know if 9.2 has Qt3.2 available. Updateing to ML10?

Alternatively, there is a "static" version of Skype with the required Qt-libraries. Tried that?

Hashimoto