Sound plays _really_ slow in audacity

jordanthompson

Look in the MCC, hardaware, hardware--> soundcard and see what modules (=drivers) are available. Try out different ones.

Or if you used xmms to play the music and you use KDE, try the arts plugin (it's in PLF) or a KDE player like Juk.

Or, check the mixer settings in kmix (in KDE, look for the equivalent in Gnome)

Good luck.

Short, basic (if you have more questions ask them) explenation about sound:

1: the basics=the soundarchitecture = ALSA or OSS. You configure it with the MCC

2: mixers/deamons = arts (KDE) or esd (gnome). If you have a soundcard/onboard sound that doesn't support hardware mixing (meaning only one application at a time can use sound) you need one of these. Else you won hear systemsounds when you play a mp3/CD/movie etc etc.

3: mixers like kmix and alsamixergui etc etc. With these you can control the different channels (sound in, stereo, volume etc etc)

4: applications: like xmms, juk, mplayer etc etc.

Now when you have problems with sound, and if you have configured the modules/alsa with the MCC, sound problems are practically always related with 2-3 and 4.

Since you don get any errors it not easy to pin point what is wrong so youl have to experiment a bit. Best is to close every soundapp (including arts/esd/mixers etc etc) and play an mp3. If it works alsa (or OSS when you use that (don ) is ok and the app you played i with is ok. Then start esd, tell the app to use esd for sound-out, and play the song again... etc etc You get the idea. (fuser -v /dev/dsp tells you what program is using the soundcard)

Good luck.

Thanks very much for your help,

I'll try these out later - right now I am chasing network problems (see my thread on "ethernet hw recognized but can't connect") As soon as this is resolved I'll chase the sound issue.

Of course this could be a moot point if go the windoze server route.

I can't spend this kind of time on this project. If it was just the sound issue, it wouldn't matter - I could take as long as I need. But I have all of my family's documents (kids reports, company book-keeping, photographs, etc.) on this machine as well as the printers (laser and color) and I am being pestered every day to get it all on-line again (I had Mandrake for years until the motherboard blew up.)