ethernet hw recognized but can't connect

jordanthompson

Did you set up the router to give the Linux box a static ip?

when setting up my dlink router i used the router to give my main box a static ip -- it assigsn the static ip for my eth0 cards MAC address --- just checking to see if this was what you did

I guess my dlink router does not have this capability. In the dlink router, I can assign a range of addresses that are to be used for DHCP (I chose 192.168.1.100 -> 192.168.1.255) and I assign static addresses below 192.168.1.100 to each device manually (on the device itself.)

In Linux, you have to actually assign the static address to the box by mcc or manually editing /etc/hosts etc.

hehe... i also got frustrated on my mandrake boxes and d-link routers. i did everything imaginable to get some of my lan boxes to connect to each other or to web and the problem is (sadly) mandrake itself. :sad: everything works fine in ubuntu (debian) and vidalinux (gentoo) but really nothing gets the job done with mandrake (i hacked on it for nearly a week, 15 hours a day). frustrating? yes! my only way of solving my problem now is getting rid of mandrake on my boxes, which is a pity because it has served me very well all those months/years.

i hope your network problem won't lead to such drastic problems as mine (with the result that you might have to change to debian or other distros).

• 3 weeks later...

Cabling?

Hub?

Can you ping other boxen on your home LAN?

Do you have room on your box to install another distro, or version of Mdk? Unfortunately I'm now running SuSE 9.1 on one of my laptops, as Mdk>9.2 = no wireless. Heck, that's the reason I'm looking through this forum, to see if Mdk 10.1 official may have sorted things out.

Regards,

Scott

I completely gave up on Mandrake :-( I had it for years and loved it, but a new install did not recognise my HP printer on a usb port, could not get my ethernet working, etc.) I went to Redhat Fedora core 2 and everything worked out of the box. Unfortunately, redhad does not have anywhere near the software built in that Mandrake has, so I had to go find it...

If I'm reading this correctly, you've given up on mandrake and installed fedora instead? And now everything is working ok?

I know all routers work differently, but I also know that by default mine has to assign me a IP address via dhcp or I can't talk to it at all. Is you new fedora install assigning you an address via dhcp?