K3B Disk Copy Types

Windependent

A clone usually means AN EXACT REPLICA OF THE ORIGINAL. So regardless of the format of the original disc, the burner should make an exact replica.

The fact that you made a clone of the original disc means that it should play the same as the original. Did you check that the original plays in the machine that you have tried to play the clone copy ??? I suspect not.

John.

Bored at work - and curious about this copy & clone stuff with k3b, after googling I found out:

* clone in k3b is *not* clonecd Windows type

* copy cd in k3b: does exactly this: duplicates the cd, and if it's an audio cd , then it will create an audio cd (with a certain mode or cdrdao or something)

* while clone cd does: first uses readcd, or similiar, checks the integrity, eliminates errors, and uses a different mode to create a 'clone', most likely a *data* cd, which can't work as audio cd

Google is saying this ;-)

And my experience with k3b is the same.

When i perform the copy cd function with an audio cd ( I only use one cd drive to do this, and k3b tells me when to change/insert the blank cd) I am getting a working audio cd.

Then K3B are using the word CLONE incorrectly because if it is NOT making an exact replica of the original, then it is NOT. repeat NOT making a clone. It does not matter if the word mistake is made in the backend, because if K3B choose to use that backend then they have their own responsibility to correct the word error in their front end.

The correct meaning of the word CLONE has nothing whatsoever to do with Micro$oft.

Therefore they (K3B) should change the word to reflect what it really does.

This mistake is the obvious reason that myself and countless others have had difficulties when using "clone" for nearly 12months. We usually put it down to ourselves making some form of mistake when all the time we being mislead by the mis-use of a word which did not do what it said.

Thanks once again ANNA for enlightening us all here. I hope the K3B team take this complaint seriously. It is already the most superior burning software in the world and fixing this kind of mistake will make it even more so.

Cheers. John.

Bug 72020: copy/clone a cd using cdrecord  (wishlist) 

Opened: 2004-01-07 01:25

Product: k3b

Component: general

Version: unspecified

Platform: Compiled Sources

Resolution: FIXED

Reporter: Jay Freyensee

Assigned to: Sebastian Trueg

Version:            (using KDE KDE 3.1.4)

Installed from:    Compiled From Sources

Compiler:          gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-4mdk) -march=athlon-4

I know cdrecord 2.0 does not inherently have a way of copying a cd or cloning a cd; HOWEVER, there has got to be a way to work around this by using both K3B and cdrecord, like have the cd contents dumped somewhere then point cdrecord to burn it on a CD.

The reason why I am requesting it is because:

1. cdrdao fails when trying to use it to copy a cd, at least for me in my system:

System

-----------------------

K3b Version: 0.10.3

KDE Version: 3.1.4

QT Version:  3.2.2

Device type    : Removable CD-ROM

Version        : 0

Response Format: 2

Capabilities  :

Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'

Identifikation : 'UJDA720 DVD/CDRW'

Revision      : '1.00'

Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.

Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).

Driver flags  : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE

Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R

2. Is there even a 'clone a cd' option?  I click on the 'clone a cd' button, and I get a 'sorry: cdrecord 2.0 does not have cloning support', but yet I still go to the 'cd cloning' window and I can still choose 'cdrecord' and a bunch of radio options.

By the way, what is the difference between 'copy a cd' and 'clone a cd'?  Seems the same to me; I cannot tell the difference in k3b.  An extra RFE would be in future to be a bit more explicit on the difference between 'cloning a cd' and 'copying a cd'.

------- Additional Comment #1 From Sebastian Trueg 2004-01-19 14:11 -------

CD Copy completely reimplemented without the use of cdrdao.

From bugzilla, I had to copy it because there was no link. It seems this has the status 'resolved'. :(

Did you check that the original plays in the machine that you have tried to play the clone copy ??? I suspect not.

Fwiw, I was thorough enough to listen to the original source CD. Even so, the fact that the second generation "Normal" copy was playable seems to preclude the necessity to test the source CD.

Just so that I wouldn't be the guy with his foot in his mouth after making an incorrect statement after mixing up my two second generation CDs, I tried reburning them before I read anna's post. Just like before, the Normal copy of the Audio CD was playable, and the "Clone" copy of the Audio CD was not.

Fwiw, I agree with you completely -- the term "clone" appears to have been used inappropriately in this context. A very misleading use of the word, indeed.

anna, am I correct in my understanding that the "clone" function should be the preferred method for Data CDs, while the "normal" function should be the preferred method for Audio CDs?

Thanks everyone for your help.

[

anna, am I correct in my understanding that the "clone" function should be the preferred method for Data CDs, while the "normal" function should be the preferred method for Audio CDs?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Guess I am as confused as most of us here ;-) Can't tell you. Didn't make a copy/clone of a data cd so far. What I found yesterday indicates that the copy function obviuosly also deals with 'protected' audio cd's.

k3b works great for me, but remains a mystery. And every new .release changes small things about the use of cdrecord, cdrdao, dao, tao. And the mandrake versions of cdrecord which are not vanilla makes things even more complicate. Not to speak about many plugins and programs that are included if you have transcode, vcdimager, lame etc installed on your system.

• 6 months later...

I hope I'm not getting in to this conversation too later :)

In reference to devries bug report...

I am having a similar problem. I have an HP 8X Cd-r/rw and a Pioneer DVD-Rom. I tried two times last night to copy an audio cd. It would start with the first track, get 3 percent(24mb) and then it would error out. At around 15mb the buffer percentage bar would start going down...and then at 24mb it would be down to nothing and error. It gave me a cdrao error saying it didn't have a clean exit. That was two times with the Normal mode. I tried clicking Clone before I did the Normal mode and it wouldn't even let me in to it...the cd I was copying was an enhanced cd and it said I would have to update my cdrecord library.

So...is the best way to copy a cd to use your cd recorder as your source and let it copy the cd to disk and then put your blank cd in when that's done?