wine help

Guest tuxracer555

Guest tuxracer555

i installed mandrake linux 10 discovery as i am quite fed up with windows, its crashes and its re-installation. i had also previously used beos and am ready to try anything better than windows (in my opinion)

i simply love mandrake. the applications on the cds are more than enough and i didn't have to install a single driver. i love tuxracer. i also love the customizability ( i have a b/w desktop with graying of all the coloured icons). beat that microsoft!!! forgive me for ranting but i just had to....

now the main problem is that when i install wine from mandrake cd, i cannot find the darned program in the applications menu. since i am a total newbie and do not know even abc of linux, i have no idea which file to search for. i also went to the wine hq page but the 2 files(one 12mb and one 55mb ) will absolutely take too long to download on my dial-up modem, esp the latter one. i want to use some windows programs on linux. help help...( i think i am even beginning to sound like tux)

I can relate to the windoze issue, I was there not long ago myself - though I have been using Linux for some time before I fully 'gave it up' :)

To start with WINE is usually run as a system service and not an application off the 'start' menu. The idea is that you can simply click on a windows .exe file and wine will run and attempt to emulate the windows environment.

That being said, if you have not used wine before there is usually some configuration to do, unless it is a very small simple app like the windows calculator and such. If you are truly new to Linux I would suggest that you familerize yourself with Linux more before attempting to config WINE. But, if you still are eager to try let me know and and I will help you out.

Questions:

What programs do you want to run?

How long have you been using Linux?

Guest tuxracer555

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using mandrake for about a week or so. I simply have no clue about the console or any commands. All I know is the graphical interface. And the only command lines i have typed (except for the ProDOS in my old Apple IIc, loong long ago) are to modify some ini files in object dock, moby dock and the like. I am simply a non-geek and newbie in linux.

I want to run QCD player, microsoft office, winamp (xxms freezes every time i play an mp3 but the totem media player plays it), and some old games like age of empires, doom II and emulators.

I have a P4 celeron 1.7 ghz and 384 mb RAM, Intel 845 motherboard and am running windows 2000 in another partition (after numerous blue screens of death from windows me and inability to system restore win xp)

Edited by tuxracer555

xxms freezes every time i play an mp3 but the totem media player plays it

This is a known issue thats easily fixed therefor navigate to menudrak (system, cofig, other), locate the menu item for xmms (multimedia, sound) and remove the word "soundwrapper" from the menu command line "soundwrapper xmms".

I want to run microsoft office, winamp

Linux has many great equivalents for commercial winsuks software. Open office org is know to equal or better m$ office, xmms is very very much like winamp (with the fix listed above).

Same goes for wine, before u can use wine you need to install it and then configure it. I forgot the exact location where it was put and i am not using it as there is no need to realy. As said there are many linux equivalents to m$ packages. Just post here what you wish to replace and you will get an instant reply. The only time you would like to use an emulator is to play specific windows games, but for that the commercial program cedega (winex) is known to be your best bet. You can get that via transgaming. Other than that it will pay off to find a linux equivalent. My experience: ionce i found my way around i like the linux programs far better!

Edited by SpikeyKlitske

Hi tuxracer,

this is a personal note.

Don't waste your time with wine and emulation and stuff when you are just starting with Linux. Take your time discovering the Linux applications. And dual boot as long and often as you feel to.

After a while you'll notice that there are more than enough native Linux applications, the challenge is to find out, which you like the most. Only with windows games and some very special video editing it's difficult.

Also I notice, that you are using Mandrake discovery which doesn't include all 8000 (!) packages that the MDK distribution provides.

Search on this board for easyurpmi - and add additional sources to your 'Software install'.

A good start is the website of aRTee, artees tips for free for Mandrake

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/

Welcome on mandrakeusers.org. - and ask away for finding an excellent Linux application.

winamp? - discover amarok

Office? -- koffice

video player -- kaffeine

cd burning -- k3b

And stick with the rpm's that are built for your Mandrake version, that will save a lot of time and trouble.

Good luck!

Guest tuxracer555

thanks y'all for such quick replies. I had heard that linux had good support groups. Now I must admit that they are fanatics just like apple users. yippee.

o.k. i'll try to stick to your suggestions and try out the tips.

since i hate having to type in commands (and i am scared i may screw things up), can anyone suggest where i can find rpms which install completely just by clicking (e.g. tuxracer, kmidi, and other games on the cd) :lol: