find unneeded dependencies

PMo6022

Is there any quick method to find packages I installed as dependencies that are no longer needed? For instance, if I install a program and it has 3 dependencies, and then I uninstall the program, the dependencies are left behind.

I know you can do: $ rpm --query --requires <package_name>

to list all dependencies, and then try to remove any that seem unneeded, since RPM won't let you remove a package that another package requires, but that is cumbersome. What I am looking for is a quick way to scan all installed packages and remove unneeded ones.

There's a tool called "urpmi_find_leaves" or something like that. It will find RPM packages that are not needed by any other RPM package.

Then rpm -e those you don't need. Start again until there's nothing left to uninstall.

Yves.

yep - it's a good idea to exercise caution when doing this. remember these tools can only understand the rpm database, so if you installed something because you needed it for something you installed *not as an rpm* - say something you built from source or installed from a non-rpm installer - then remember not to uninstall it just because no rpm package requires it :)