LG LS50 Laptop & Intel Wireless Pro 2200BG

Guest oziemike

Guest oziemike

Hi all

I recently purchased a new LG LS50 with the Intel Wireless Pro 2200BG wifi.

I have tried everything to get it to work with Mandrake 10.0 pro. I tried the IPW2200 projject, but then realized they said that iit needs the kernel above 2.6.4 and I am still using the supplied 2.6.3-7 kernel. I removed all I thought it had installed from that project and went for Ndiswrapper.

Followed it all carefully and can get to the point that the driver is installed and dmesg reports it has added it OK.

The problem comes when I try to use iwconfig. Sometimes it will take the commands, sometimes not. In the case of the wep key it takes it, holds it for about 30 secs and then loses it.

It will never accept the essid entry.

I did uninstall the mandake 0.41 ndiswrapper package before trying any of this, but I get the feeling there is a conflict of some kind in the system.

I have spent a lot of time on this but just can't get to a point where I can configure the card.

Last night I tried an old Dlink 650+ in the pcmcia slot and created a new set of drivers for it with the same Ndiswrapper load (0.10 I forgot to mention). Same result. I can load up the drivers but cannot succesfully configure all the parameters with iiwconfig, especially essid which just will not work with either card. The wirteless tools package is the one supplied on the mandrake discs.

I have dual boot with XP on this llaptop and use the same drivers as for ndiswrapper and it works fine there.

Any help of course will be appreciated.

Mike

Darwin, Australia

java script:emoticon(':help:')

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest damandit9999

also a newbie here, but i have the same centrino wifi chip and it works fine. i dont know anything about 10.0, but actually Mandrake 10.1 has a (old) version of IPW2200 driver built in. I still don't know how to update it so i just use that driver. what i did:

su (login as root)

modprobe ipw2200

iwlist scan (find your wlan port. mine's called eth2. also find your access point's essid )

iwconfig <your-port> essid <your-essid>

ifconfig <your-port> up

now mozilla/firefox should be able to access internet.

good luck.

Guest oziemike

Thanks for that.

I have just ordered 10.1 powerpak direct from Mandrake as I see in all the PR stuff that it is suppsed to handle Centrino. I did download 10.1 community and try it with no sucess, but in general there were a lot of issues so I went back to 10.0

Hopefully 10.1 will solve all the problems when it arrives here in Australia.

Thanks again

Mike