Community Idea

Well I let myself be talked into modding this thread..

I hope I let myself in for a easy job :D

What do regular users of this thread feel about the following.

We try and maintain a single What is special (or not) about this distro for each disto (like the ubuntu thread) where we try and say what we like/dont about it, what is special about it etc. Ill pin it then people thinking of trying a distro can see a summary?

This is in noway meant to detract from questions on those distro's but to me thats another thing and putting the "whats ##### all about" seperate to tech questions might hep focus help on the tech questions...

Your friendly :evilmod: new MOD .... Gowator

Well I let myself be talked into modding this thread..

I hope I let myself in for a easy job :D 

no, gowator. it won't be an easy job. i will take care of that :P

What do regular users of this thread feel about the following.

We try and maintain a single What is special (or not) about this distro for each disto  (like the ubuntu thread) where we try and say what we like/dont about it, what is special about it etc.  Ill pin it then people thinking of trying a distro can see a summary? 

This is in noway meant to detract from questions on those distro's but to me thats another thing and putting the "whats ##### all about" seperate to tech questions might hep focus help on the tech questions...

Your friendly  :evilmod: new MOD .... Gowator

good idea. :) it will make it easier for a lot of mandrake users to get an idea of other distros and if they should play around with any of them or switch. this will also be a great way for the average user to find out, if they are ready for a distro.

e.g. john thinks of switching to gentoo. he reads of the pros and cons, the problems with gentoo and then he reads on and on and finds out that he knows how to solve all these problems, that he understands everything that was posted, then he might be sure that the time has come for him to try gentoo. pete on the other hand reads the same page and does not understand a thing. he might realize that he is not yet able to handle gentoo so he will stick with mandrake or maybe take a look at another distro. ;)

at any given time, there are 5 reviews about ever distro, on the internet...

google

Yes, but people seem to trust us, since they might know us better than some of the "really bad" reviews on the net. :P

Exactly cybr...

thats the point... I see so many crappy we are better than xx faster than yy reviews...

this is *meant* to be objective... and to an extent benchmarked against Mandrake .. on different things (like urpmi vs Suse) etc.

Im looking for WHY should I try that distro next and am I ready for it? type answers....

Im open to *BSD reviews too....

basically anything in context....

even XP I guess if someone wants to objectively compare it to mandrake? 

and SCO if anyone can afford too.

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=19610

Not much, but I gave you a little bit of info, ;)

Edited by cybrjackle

thanks...both pinned now..

everyone else get off your lazy a** and add comments/write your own etc. etc.

cybrjackle just started everyone off so lets see some action...

Were did it go?

I just read bvc comments, clicked on it and it disapeared?

Ah, i found it.......

Edited by cybrjackle