PCMCIA not working in laptop

I started up my laptop today for the first time in a while and the PCMCIA network card wouldn't load. I quickly (despite the slowness of the computer :)) realised that it was not the network configuration, but that the card wasn't even loaded.... Blast!

First of all, I did see this thread and tried the solution listed therein. (I did have an empty modprobe.preload, so that was a helpful tip.)

After such, I have the following:

$ service pcmcia restart
Shutting down PCMCIA services: done.
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[1378]: no sockets found!
done.

$ cardctl ident
open_sock(): No such device

There are no lights on the card. I've also tried rebooting a number of times. :wall:

Anyone have any ideas why this wouldn't be working anymore?

(Thanks for the help, LZ! :thumbs:)

Sorry I don't know much but it might have to do something with that yenta socket or what ever it's called, hopefully LZ will be aroundhere and he can tell you more about it and how to fix it. I had the same problem when I was using MDK my wireless card would work and sometimes not!

-Luis

for the record, (and anyone else who stumbles across this post) here is a thread that tells you why it's happening, and how to fix it: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=15455

Did you catch that I had already seen that thread and tried what it said? Not to say that it's not helpful, but it didn't solve my problem....

Guest pwdbylinux

Nope, missed that part. :cheesy: Have you tried Gowator's idea of using a live cd to verify it's not hardware? During the re-install, was the card properly detected?

Edited by pwdbylinux