Cannot find boot loader..

Recently while upgrading RPMs to try and fix problems I've been having with drake packages (they almost all have perl issues.. i dont even know why..) I started receiving this message while doing anything related to.. well.. my system:

"Cannot find a bootloader installed".. I recognize that this means there is something missing somewhere or that theres something wrong with my bootloader (although lilo works fine).. but I can't find out where to go from here.. Google offers no support, so I hoped you great people would..

I get that message while doing things such as re-installing the bootloader via bootdrake, or trying to install a kernel "make install" "make modules_install".. many other things receive this message (and conveniently stop the program or module from compiling or installing)..

I had really hoped to be able to upgrade my kernel, but I'm physically unable to do so with this message popping up and the kernel erroring out on the "make install" stage..

Please if you have any idea of where to go from here let me know because I'm stumped and this is a rather critical blow to my system.. I'd really hate to have to re-install from scratch...

Thanks in advance for any help

Its on the MBR, I havn't changed lilo or any boot settings in a few months now, no new kernel, no kernel settings changed, no large upgrades of anything.. I wasn't experiencing this problem before about a week ago..

weird

but, you don't need make install to use a compiled kernel. You can manually copy everything. See the FAQ/kernel compile for how, or if you have questions after that post back. maybe it will fix the prob?

weird

Edited by bvc

Well I followed the instructions in the FAQ and was able to successfully install the kernel (thank you), but even on the new kernel it still says the same thing..

I don't know if theres actually a problem or if theres just a file somewhere thats confusing my system into thinking I'm missing the bootloader.. cause I seem to have a completely intact boot loader and am able to update it with new entries and such..

Is there anywhere on Mandrake that would be trying to tell things theres a boot loader or isnt (i know mandrake has a lot of weird files doing things that aren't exactly needed...)?