Mandrake Update won't work.

Kylotan

I run the Update utility, it gets to 'Please wait, updating media...', then it brings up a box saying "It's impossible to retrieve the list of new packages (etc)". I remove the current update_source, then run the Update util again. It brings up a list of update_source mirrors, I try the next one, I get the exact same error. For every mirror.

I have no problem accessing the internet in any other way. Http, ftp, curl, wget, instant messengers all appear to be working fine. I can't see any obvious clues in /var/log as to what's going on.

I'm using 10CE.

go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ , set your version to 10.0CE, and set up media for "main" and "contrib". These media are updated on a rolling basis and contain security updates. From the command line, urpmi --auto-select -v will install all available updates. (Before doing this, do urpmi.update -a to update your local copy of the list of all the files on the remote server). Alternatively, you could set your version to 10.0OE, define media for "main", "contribs" and an update source, and use MandrakeUpdate to get updates; then you'd be running a normal copy of 10.0OE, more or less.

I can't find any such thread. It's also not really practical for me to leave it installing every single update in one go. I really need to be able to see what's available and choose, because I don't have that kind of bandwidth. Is this possible? I don't mind the idea of updating it to OE (not sure how I 'set my version' however) but I really need to be able to do this in stages for it to be practical.

Edited by Kylotan

It doesn't seem to work properly - I have 'update_source' in there now using the same settings as I entered for 'main', but it still insists on checking the mirrors list, and when I pick one it complains that 'update_source' already exists. Then it tells me the list of updates is empty, which I'm pretty sure is wrong because the last time this all worked for me, there was at least one big update I'd not installed (kernel source, I seem to recall).