My first piece of homemade software for Linux

RuneJensen

Here is a Screenshot of the first piece of software I have ever made for Linux, a fairly simple program that simulates the stock market. I used Gambas, which I found a lot easier to use than the QT3 and KDevelop that Mandrake include in their packages.

post-7452-1096989645_thumb.jpg

Does anyone one know how to make a rpm? Or at least how to make it possible for others to use stuff that I make?

Or does anyone know how to fix my printer?

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=19181

spinynorman

Thanks for helping out.

I found a “make rpm”-function in the Gambas program. Unfortunately, it seems like the applications that I make in Gambas will not install on computers that don't have Gambas themselves. From the .spec file of the RPM:

Requires: gambas-runtime >= 0.95,gambas-runtime <= 1.0,gambas-gb-qt >= 0.95,gambas-gb-qt <= 1.0

I think that a standard Linux installation should contain a BASIC compiler in addition to the g++, as there are a lot of people like myself who have used Visual Basic, if only to make Excel macros.

devries

I think I would have kept it to myself if I figured out a way to predict the marked :) There are however some simple rules that seems to apply, but usually not in a degree that would cover transaction costs. Like for instance the fact that markets go up on Mondays and down on Fridays. (Buying shares when the market closes on Friday evening is more risky as one usually have to hold them in 2 days no matter what happens).

The game generates all the numbers internally and is not linked to anything online. Using real-world data would make it impossible to play the game when the markets are closed, and would also probably be to slow to make the game “playable”. I think it is possible though, and might be useful if I would want to rebuild the program to analyze historical stock trends.

• 2 weeks later...
if you do make sure to let me know....

p.s. its great to just start coding on something... you can read all the books in the word but actually doing it is what counts!  :headbang:

Coding is great, but takes a lot of time when one gets started :D I managed to compile the game in Windows, and I have made it available for download at this location: http://www.genepool.biz/ . I still haven’t been able to find a real basic compiler for Linux, but the mono-project looks very promising: http://www.go-mono.com . Installing it is quite hard at this stage though…