HOWTO: Mandrake 10.1 + lirc

devries

As everyone knows Mandrake comes with a for some people (like myself with a Hauppage remote) unusuable version of Lirc. Let me tell you how you can get your remote working in a few easy steps even with this handicap.

1: Install the kernel source with 'urpmi kernel-source'

2: Don't remove anything. Yes I know, when you install Mplayer liblirc gets installed but, as we will see, this is not important.

3: Download and untar Lirc 0.7.0pre7 ( Download )

4: Change directory to the lirc folder.

5: Run ./setup.sh and choose the for you appropiate settings (for mine Hauppauge remote it's '5' fot TV cards and then 'f') (5-7 all in the lirc folder)

6: Login as root and type 'make && make install'

7: Load the module, still as root: 'depmod -ae' and (for my remote) 'modprobe lirc_i2c'

8: Now for the Mandrake bit. The liblirc package install 2 files (liblirc_client.so.0 and liblirc_client.so.0.0.0) in /usr/lib. Rename these 2 files (cd /usr/lib and mv liblirc_client.so.0 liblirc_client.so.0.bak etc etc)

9: Lirc install liblirc_client.so.0 in /usr/local/lib. Now link that file to /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0 (cd /usr/lib and ln -s /usr/local//lib/liblirc_client.so.0 )

10: Start the lircd as root by typing 'lircd'. Log out as root and start irw by typing 'irw' and press some buttons on the remote. If you see something happening everything is working.

Have fun

Edited by devries

Thanks for the info.

Just a comment: Mandrake 10.1CE doesn't come with an unusable version of LIRC, it lacks ALL the LIRC drivers, at least, the 2.6.8.1 standard kernel does.

I have compiled some of the drivers, which you can find on my site and stick in the right place, after which things should work too.

• 7 months later...
you could also just install kernel-multimedia-2.6, which has a working lirc build.

I still confuse with any kernel type .. I just use default kernel from CD

what is the different betwen standard kernel with kernel multimedia?

if I change my official kernel to kernel multimeidia with the same version, is it just a Patch or replacing the kernel?

and what about the kernel source, do I have replace my kernel source with kernel-source-mulitimedia too ?