viewing certain extensions

mdemers883

How would I go about playing wmv files, is it possible in linux witout needing WINE or anything like that. Or, like when I want to view trailers on the apple site, can I do that in linux...is there some sort of quicktime substitute. And, one last question, when I'm viewing a video in a browser ( I use firefox) what do I need to add to firefox to play the videos?

Sorry if this seems very trivial but I have no clue about this stuff just yet so I don't even know where to start.

Mark

Well, illogic-al is right but a little terse :P

You should be able to play most videos in linux, but unfortunately it's often more painfull than it needs to be. There is a variety of media players in linux (mplayer, xine, ...). In addition, there are often several graphical front ends for each of them, for example Totem which is the default player in mdk 10 is a front end on top of xine.

mplayer does seem to be the most compatible, so I would start by installing it doing "urpmi mplayer" and see if your files play.

If not, you may have to add "win-codecs" which is available from PLF (if you don't know what that means, search for win-codecs or easy urpmi on these forums and you'll find detailed explanation"

You also might want to look at Real Player 10 from Helix (search the forum or google for it).

Integration into mozilla or konqueror is poor at best in my opinion and I still have to find a good tutorial on how to do it.