DOOM 3 on linux is out!

papaschtroumpf

Great news! will try it soon.

:thanks:

BTW, the -minimum- hardware requirements for linux systems are lower than for window$ machines (which is great cause i dont meet the window$ reqs.): :headbang:

GNU/Linux system:

* Pentium III, 1Ghz

* 256Mb RAM

Window$ (as stated in this page):

* Pentium®IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon® XP 1500+ processoror higher

* 384MB RAM

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Edited by feralertx

Cool I would like to try it, I just have to try Americas Army first then I would like to try out the doom demo....I'm probably going to like it and then buy it, depends on my hardware, not the best.

-Luis

:woot:

cool! Allthough I'll never play it :P

Why not?

Because you are scared of the intense, dark, vivid 3D monsters? :P

No, because I like 2D adventure games/RPG's and other weird games (e.g. strategy).

Furthermore, I find 3D FPS boring and last, but not least: I suck at them! ;)

Oh, and I'm someone who falls asleep bored when watching thriller/horror movies, so I doubt the dark, scary, pixelly monsters would frighten me...

Edited by Darkelve

Do you need to have NVidia drivers?

Reason I ask is cause I'm running Fedora on the kernal that "disagree's" with the NVidia drivers, so I'm running in Software mode.

I don't even know if the issue has been fixed, as I haven't been able to connect my machine to internet to try and update it (joys of yum! :D) and can only just get away with reading this site during work...

W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...I......mu..st........have... gasp!... '*'...

Slurps the monitor

Normally I don't play such games other than blood and blood 2 (anyone?), bit doom3 gonna be an exception!

Furthermore, I find 3D FPS boring and last, but not least: I suck at them! ;)

Oh, and I'm someone who falls asleep bored when watching thriller/horror movies, so I doubt the dark, scary, pixelly monsters would frighten me...

Just completed the demo....

Well the game is really scary, but perhaps the sound has made it more so...

I don't think it's bored, but it is not very fun either....

Maybe I will wait for RTCW 2 then.

Edited by zero0w

@darkelve: heck, open your mind, my three favourite games ever are Doom (FPS shooter), TIE Fighter (story-heavy space sim), and Grim Fandango (LucasArts point-n-click adventure). They're all great, in different ways. Games have the potential to be far more scary than movies, as well, as you have control and the outcome isn't predetermined. I found Doom a lot more scary to play through for the first time than any movie I've ever seen, it's a much more immediate experience.

From the doom3linux.com forums, I see that I'm not the only one who's had this issue, so I'll share a fix:

I started Doom3 and my screen resized itself to 640x480 and froze. Had to ctrl-alt-backspace to get out of X.

After checking and modifying my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to make sure that 640x480 was a supported resolution, I still had the problem (although this time I could move the mouse around the screen).

I even downgraded xorg from 6.8.1 to 6.7.0 and nothing worked. Turns out I had to just reinstall the nvidia drivers. Now the game works perfectly, and at a better quality than I could ever use on Windows (different computer/hardware, but still...)

Ya know, I'm a little disappointed. The game plays no better as far as quality or fps with these binaries than it did running with cedega. I can run it at high quality, 1028x764 and it still lurches a bit when lots of stuff is going on. Same as with cedega. I expected an improvement. This is the one game I know of that runs better in my XP partition than on linux. What's going on?

P4 3.0 gHz

1.5 gig ram

BFG nVidia 6800 GT