HOWTO: Mandrake 10.1 + ivtv

devries

If it worked before you don't need the patch. And there is no need for the ivtv/tuner entry in your mpdprobe.conf. The new ivtv modules set it automatically (put a # before these lines in your modprobe.conf). Try loading the modules again (modprobe -r ivtv to unload and then modprobe ivtv again, or, in the ivtv/driver folder: make reload.

If that doesn't work try another/newer/older ivtv version.

If that doesn't work tell us what you did when you installed lirc :)

Good luck.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice - it turns out that i only had it 'partially' working before. When I explicitly set the tuner type to be 39, as suggested in the 10.1 how-to listed above, i can capture tv image, change channels, etc. Since my ivtv is sensing that the card is tuner type 47, though, i wonder if i'm losing some picture quality? It appears I should apply the Chris Kennedy patch for the tuner. How would i go about applying the patch? The instructions (http://205.209.168.201/~ckennedy/ivtv/new_tuners/ ) say that after running the patch command (i assume this can be from anwyhere?), i need to follow the distribution's way of recompiling the tuner module. I couldn't find anything online that explained how to do this...?

I think I had some other errors in my modprobe.conf file, too, so I'm gonna see if I can get that set up so that I don't have to run the 'start-ivtv' script from the how-to, and instead do it via modprobe.conf.

Thanks again!

Just disregard the subject but use the commands you find in ths page:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10826

PS kernel 2.6 doesn't use the modprobe.conf but instead it uses /etc/modprobe.preload. Try putting the word 'ivtv' in there. (disclaimer: I don't use it so can't tell if it works (I never shut down my PC :) )

Guest mbrosius

Thanks to your help I am almost ready to watch TV. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. I deleted the /var/cache/freevo/TV.xml.pickled file and then I started the recordserver service. Next I re-ran tv_grab_na_dd --output /tmp/TV.xml to get a current listing of TV shows and I started Freevo. Sure enough the TV station showed up in my guide! Now I want to watch one of the programs so I select the current show, the screen turns black and then returns the the TV guide.

I checked out http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/doc/TVUsage to see what my problem is and I see that there is no "no entry at the moment to start watching TV directly, but you can start TV from within the guide". Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to do this since apparently pressing the <Enter> key or the <D> key or the <Space> key does not work for me. At that time I thought I would need to start recording the program so I pressed <F6> as instructed on the Help page and I appeared to begin recording. I went to the Guide page while the program was supposed to be recording and again pressed <Enter> then <D> then <Space> but the program did not display. I went to the Recorded Shows item and I see the program listed. I selected the program and I get the message that the file is not found. I double checked my file locations in local.conf.py and I see that

VIDEO_ITEMS = [ ('Videos', '/tmp/Freevo/Videos') ]

VIDEO_PREFERED_PLAYER = 'mplayer'

AUDIO_ITEMS = [ ('Audio', '/tmp/Freevo/Audio'), 'fxd/webradio.fxd' ]

AUDIO_PREFERED_PLAYER = 'mplayer'

IMAGE_ITEMS = [ ('Images', '/tmp/Freevo/Images') ]

TV_RECORD_DIR = '/home/mark/tmp'

All of these directories in /tmp/Freevo have permissions of 777 as well as /tmp/Freevo itself. The directory /home/mark/tmp has permissions of 700 and "mark" is the user that is starting freevo. I did notice one odd thing and that is that the program I tried to record placed a file with an extension of .fxd in /home/mark/tmp but it was owned by root and not the user "mark" who was actuallying running freevo.

Any ideas? I'm sure I am real close. Thanks again for all your time and help!

Mark

I'm guessing here but I remember having the same problem when an other application is keeping the soundcard/onboard sound occupied (meaning the souncard doesn't support hardwae mixing) . You are still getting snow when you do mplayer /dev/video0?. That would mean ivtv works and since you get listings freevo works too.

Try shutting down every sound application and try again (the command fuser -v /dev/dsp tells what application use the soundcard) (in particular make sure mplayer isn't running. In a console type: killall mplayer)

What AUDIO_DEVICE do you have in the local_conf.py (should probably be /dev/dsp)

Do you use KDE and mplayer? Try MPLAYER_AO_DEV = 'arts' in the local_conf.py

And run freevo from a console. The error output tells what the problem is. (or look in the logs /tmp/freevo/main-xxx.log)

Guest mbrosius

When I run "mplayer /dev/video0" I am now getting verticle black and white lines...just like a zebra!

Running "fuser -v /dev/dsp" as root shows nothing.

I made sure mplayer was not running.

AUDIO_DEVICE is set to /dev/dsp

I am using KDE and mplayer.

I added the following line "MPLAYER_AO_DEV = 'arts'"

I remembered to delete /var/cache/freevo/TV.xml.pickled then I ran freevo from the command line and here are my results:

$ freevo

Warning: freevo_config.py was changed, please check local_config.py

You are using version 5.13, changes since then:

Version 5.14:

Add IMAGEVIEWER_DURATION for auto slideshows

ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected and added "('/mnt/cdrom', '/dev/hdd', 'CD-1')"

ROM_DRIVES: Auto-detected and added "('/mnt/cdrom2', '/dev/scd0', 'CD-2')"

Please run 'freevo cache'

freevo: could not connect to socket

freevo: No such file or directory

WARNING: Could not initialize PyLirc!

To search for covers you need an Amazon.com Web Services

license key. You can get yours from:

https://associates.amazon.com/exec/panama/a...pplication.html

plugin audio.coversearch deactivated, reason: no amazon key

Warning: freevo_config.py was changed, please check local_config.py

You are using version 5.13, changes since then:

Version 5.14:

Add IMAGEVIEWER_DURATION for auto slideshows

Stopping webserver plugin.

webserver not running

webserver not running

I did notice that when I enter the Watch TV menu, the only time the icon of the television at the top of the freevo screen is not dark is when I press F6 to start recording. Then when I press <Enter> or the <Space> the television icon goes dark again.

The display when I would run "mplayer /dev/video0" used to have snow but now are the verticle black and white stripes. Maybe this is my problem. Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Try adding the channels and frequencies by hand in the local_conf.py. Mplayer shows a badly configured TV channel. Remember that the frequencies should be in khz and that your cable company probably posts them in mhz (so just add a few 000 :) ). Remove the TV.xml.pickled and start Freevo.

The recorded TV can be found in the TV menu under 'recorded shows'. If it worked you should have a mpeg file in /home/mark/tmp folder.

Guest mbrosius

I added a frequency and now mplayer is displaying the snow again. I fired up freevo and went to the Watch TV menu, selected a program and pressed <Enter>. The screen went black for 2 - 3 seconds then came back to the TV guide listing. I pressed <F6> to start recording a program and the icon of the television lit up for about 1.5 seconds then went dark again. I went to the "recorded shows" menu and found the show I just attempted to record. When I pressed <Enter> a box popped up and stating that the show could not be found. Interestingly it indicates that the recorded show would be an avi file and you said it should be an mpeg.

Should I be getting frusterated? ;-)

Recording: are you running the recordeserver as root? Then you need a local_conf.py in /root or /root/freevo I forgot which. If you run it as a user there are probably errors in the local_conf.py. Don't be disheartened, that file has defeated better men than you and me :D. Some tips: edit anything out that has to do with mplayer recording and I'll add mine so you can compare.

The TV problem is probably something to do with the frequencies. In the ivtv folder got ot 'utils' and type make. That will make (amongst other things) an ivtvctl (or something like that). Run than ./ivtvctl --help to seewhat options you can use to set the frequencies. Than try till you find a correct one with mplayer

local_conf.py.txt

Guest Overlord

Hey there I followed the instruction to set up my PVR 350 and it seemed to work just fine after i reeinstalled the kernel sources.

The thing is: if i type modprobe ivtv I get

FATAL: Module ivtv not found. :unsure:

I checked for the /dev/video0 and it does not seem to exist.

So I went through the make log and found this:

...blah...

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST

Warning: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/ivtv.mod

...blah...

I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Could anyone help please!

Thanx!

Edited by Overlord

Guest Overlord

In reference

to http://www.byopvr.com/Journal+index-jop-br...view-id-112.htm

I moved the files from /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdkcustom/extra to /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/misc

and i do not get a modprobe error anymore

I still do not have any /dev/video though.

I guess I'll try another module.

Edited by Overlord

Guest Overlord

Nope no way :angry:

in addition to the last error I also get this during the make process:

/home/flori/Downloads/ivtv-0.3.1z/driver/cx25840.c: In function `cx25840_audio':

/home/flori/Downloads/ivtv-0.3.1z/driver/cx25840.c:631: warning: ISO C90 forbids

mixed declarations and code

/home/flori/Downloads/ivtv-0.3.1z/driver/cx25840.c: In function `cx25840_command

':

/home/flori/Downloads/ivtv-0.3.1z/driver/cx25840.c:1097: warning: ISO C90 forbid

s mixed declarations and code

I used your module.

make install works but also states:

make install

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/build SUBDIRS=/home/flori/Downloads/ivtv-0.3.1z/driver modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk'

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST

Warning: could not find versions for .tmp_versions/ivtv.mod

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk

but goes on without further error messages.

I do not find any /dev/video though

I dunno why it does not work right for me :unsure:

Guest Overlord

I went through the threads again and erica's problem matches mine exactly.

Unfortunatly nobody answered her and she never showed up again.

Concerning kkrekula's post I already did follow the guide on http://www.byopvr.com/Journal+index-jop-br...iew-id-112.html

but still get the error erica got during the make process.

First of all I'll try getting the old files removed and then we'll see