/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - Won't Save Settings!

PiG_DoG

I have installed the latest Nvidia Drivers for my Geforce Ti 4200, and i have got it to save /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 a few times. and when i boot my machine the Nvidia logo flashes up and i get 3d support. But now no matter what i do, i save the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file edited with

Load "glx" # 3D layer

&

Driver "nvidia"

And Then save it as root.

It never remembers when i reboot!

It is doing my head in and i cant find out why can someone help me please.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

after you installed the Nvidia drivers, did you then edit XF86Config-4 with VI or VIM before you restarted X? if not, that would be why the settings aren't being saved. you can't edit the XF86 file in a GUI while X is running, it must all be done with X killed. see HERE, post #2, for proper Nvidia install procedure & make sure you did it that way.

Chris

maybe i should clarify my statement...........

from my first Nvidia driver install, on, i was under the impression, from what i was told by others & how it's explained in the Nvidia install instructions, that you must exit X, run the Nvidia install script, then edit XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf while X is still killed. is this not so? if not, then i guess i was mislead/read the instructions wrong...........

from the Nvidia "how to"....

[sec 02]

After you have downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run,

begin installation by exiting X............

[sec 03]

Once you have configured your X config file, you are ready to restart X..............

also, i guess i wasn't clear about this, but after the initial edit of X* config file, you can then do further "option" edits (kill the boot splash, AGP support, etc.) with X running in a normal text editor, then just restart X for those edits to take affect.

regardless, if i was wrong about this, no harm/no foul, it was just my understanding.

Chris

i was under the impression, from what i was told by others & how it's explained in the Nvidia install instructions, that you must exit X, run the Nvidia install script, then edit XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf while X is still killed. is this not so?

Yes your right, that is the correct way to do it. You have to exit X to install the driver.

At any time after, you can edit the config file and then simply press CTRL>ALT >Backspace to restart the X server.

Edited by anon