unmounting /home

Hi everyone!

I have a machine running Mdk 9.0 on the main hd (40 Gb) with 5 gb for / and 5 Gb for /home. I want to install Xandros and possibly SuSe also. Someone suggested on another forum that I need only one Swap and one /home partitions that will work with all distros. They also said that I can use Parted to resize the /home partition but that I should make sure it is unmounted.

I am a newbee and am afraid to unmount it not knowing how to remount it after I have resized. What would you suggest I do. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Réjean

Having done this in the past, I would not have only one /home. The wm/de may use slightly different settings for each distro. While /home itself in a command line state is fine, the gui is something else. One swap is fine. What you can do is have a primary distro with a large /home and set up the others with a smaller /home, since only the settings for that distro are going to be stored there. This is what I have done.

Any time you change a partition, you can lose data, period. Back-up your stuff before doing anything. In fact. I would recommend moving your data, resizing the partition, and then putting the data back.

What is your drve(s) configuration currently?

Hi Ixthusdan!

I like your suggestions. :headbang: I think I'll give Xandros a larger /home partition and keep Mdk 9.0 just the way it is right now. I can access the net via Win XP on my main machine, I can see some of my files on XP also, being networked. Too bad I cannot see my Linux machine from the XP???

My current drives config are;

/dev/hda1 Swap (249 Mb)

/dev/hda5 / (2.9 Gb)

/dev/hda6 /home (3.9 GB) .....the last 2 sizes maybe the space left. I'm not sure. I cannot access the machine right now........

with a second hd for Win 98 SE, something like

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows (2.4 Gb) ....It's a 2.5 Gb hd anyhow.

What do you think?

Réjean

If you have the space:

make a 1G partition, say hda7, and call it /home. Then move your data to that partition. Now, you have 3.9G of space, which you could size into 2 partitions of around 2G each, which you could use for various distros. If you want your main distro to occupy adjacent space, you could make another partition for /, and then utilize the space at the front-end of the drive for other distros.

Note:

You will have to change your fstab to reflect the changes of locations, or you will not be able to boot! Use a "live" cd like MandrakeMove, MEPIS, or PCLinux OS to edit your /etc/fstab before you try to boot back into linux. If you move /, you will also have to check out /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub, whichever boot loader you are using.

Summarize: moving partitions will present less risk to data, but you should note /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub for edits. Get a "live" cd.