? on mandrakelive and seeing partitions

eroica

hello again,

when i start my machine w/mandrakelive 9.2 i was noticing i dont see my / or /home partitions from my harddrive in Konqueror. is there something I have 2 do 2 make them visible. I tried mountiong them using " mount /dev/hda6 /temp_root" but still cant see partitions in konqueror. Can someone please expain howto get partitions visible using Mandrakelive...

alan

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

If they are mounted, you can see them. Are you using an available mount point? The tree of a live cd is sort of preset, so I think you need to use a mount point already named.

hello again,

when i start my machine w/mandrakelive 9.2 i was noticing i dont see my / or /home partitions from my harddrive in Konqueror. is there something I have 2 do 2 make them visible. I tried mountiong them using " mount /dev/hda6 /temp_root" but still cant see partitions in konqueror. Can someone please expain howto get partitions visible using Mandrakelive...

alan

Ok. Open a console. su to root. Let's call your Mandrake home directory Mandy_home. Type "mkdir /mnt/Mandy_home". Next, determine your hard drive location in dev. Primary master is hda, primary slave is hdb, secondary master is hdc, primary slave is hdd. Determine the partition number on the drive. Example, my Mandrake /home is on the 6th partition of hdd. So, it is hdd6. Right?

Then type "mount /dev/hdxy /mnt/Mandy_home", where x is the drive location and y is the partition location.

Then browse your drive!

ok thanx i will try this tonight. I assume my partition number is hda6 as the output of a df -h:

df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda6             1.5G  1.1G  416M  72% /
/dev/hda1             2.0G  1.3G  742M  64% /mnt/win_c
/dev/hda5             730M  279M  451M  39% /mnt/win_d

alan

p.s.- i'd love 2 know why my /home partition isnt showing up in the df command. cause it sure still shows up in konqueror......

Are you certain that you have a seperate /home partition? A default Mandrake install only creates a single / partition, along with a swap partiton. If you then mount /, you will see the entire tree, including /home.

hello again.

well i had 2 do a reinstall of mandrake several weeks ago cause i ran out of space on / and x server wouldnt start and i couldnt fix it. the first time i installed mandrake i didnt do anything special and i had a /home parttion created automatically. i just told it to use available spce from windows partition. i can see all my files in ~/. forgive me but i am new to this so are u saying that my /home directory is on / and that /dev/hda8 is just sitting there as empty space? and if I mount /home to /dev/hda8 i will free up all that space on / ?

Here is my fstab file:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

as i look at it i dont see anything for /dev/hda8! How would i modify this so i would keep changes on bootup? also when i use the mount command it asks if i want to move all files from eroica(my user directory)? is this ok to do ? I really dont want to lose any data...

alan

Edited by eroica

No! :D

By default, Mandrake makes two partitions, / and swap. Withn /, all the other stuff exists as a file tree. So, /home may not be an actual partition. I like to make a /, /home, and /usr partition, along with swap, because experience has shown me that is best.

hda8 may simply be your one linux partition, and everything on the file tree is located there. To clarify further, /home may only be a tree location and not a partition.

If you like , we could walk thru an installation the way I do it, from the beginning.

i'm getting this info from mandrake control center under mount points section. it shows my 2 windows partitions, /(extf3 and hda6) ,swap as hda7, and finally an hda8 journalized ext3 partition where my /home partition I thought would be. It just shows as a blank red block w/no directorty entery I must confess though that after reinstall i never went into MCC to see how mount points were setup. i'd appreciate if u could go thru this w/me.I want to setup a /home partition on hda8 w/all the directories and files that are currently under the /home directory. I guess what is confusing to a windows person is the fact that I have a /home directory but i guess that is under /dev/hda6 right now? i want it on /dev/hda8 and free my /partition..

alan

Edited by eroica

OK. Here is what you can do.

First, be aware that if you do not back up your data, you can lose everything. Be warned!

Utilizing Diskdrake, you can create a new /home partition in the space already used. It will become hda8, and diskdrake will move all the existing data into the new partition for you. It will also make an entry into /etc/fstab so that the new partition will automatically be mounted at boot. When I get home (I'm on a windows box) I can give you the exact steps, but it is a gui and is relatively self prompting. It makes no changes until you tell it to, which means you can review each step before committing to the change. By the way, use either ext3 or reiserfs for the new partition.

Actually, before we go on, would you post the contents of /etc/fstab?

if u look in previous post time 2:04 you'll see /etc/fstab contents. this change will be on my work computer so i'll not be able to check your reply until tomorrow morning. so until then...

alan

p.s. - the control center already show's it as formated as extfs3. see the attached snapshot of MCC

alan

post-5494-1097089671_thumb.jpg

You are better off than I thought. Click on the partition that is blank, click on mount point, choose /home from the drop down list, you should be asked to copy all data from /home, say yes, and then it may ask to make changes to fstab, say yes, and then you can mount the drive, or reboot, but it won't be necessary to do so after mounting the partition. These changes will all stay after rebooting.

nice! it went off w/o a hitch and i gained 21% on my / partition. If u dont mind a few post mortem questions. how would u know from a console how many partitions u have? I never would have known /dev/hda8 was there from the df -h command. Is there some command that gives u all partitions mounted or not? Also to the original question of when using mandrakemove I dont see any of the partitions on the harddrive. hoiw does one go about making them visible in a mandrakemove session?

thanx

alan