2 boxes - 1 monitor, Logitech cordless, blah blah

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I have a win2k Professional box on my desk, and a mdk 9.0 box on the floor next to my desk. As it is now, when I want to use my mdk 9.0 box, I unplug everything from my win2k box and plug it all back in to my linux box.

What I want to do: buy 1 flat panel monitor and put a "Y" connector on the back of it, and have one connection to my linux box and a connection to my win2k box. I would only be using one box at a time. Would this work?

Logitech cordless: I also want to buy a Logitech Cordless kb & optical mouse combo for my win2k box. According to Logitech's website, the Cordless Elilte Duo and the Cordless Freedom Optical combos both have exactly the same features and both retail for $99.95. So what's the diff between the 2 combos?

Also, with one of the above cordless combos, can I unplug the usb receiver from my win2k box and plug it into my linux box and therefore use the same kb/mouse combo with either box?

btw: Logitech's website, under "Logitech compatibility with non-windows OS's" just says "Logitech cordless devices are only compatible with Windows OS's".

thanks for any comments/tips on the above questions.

Why not just buy a KVM switch -- keyboard/vidoe/mouse? This would allow you to use one monitor/mouse/keyboard with two, or more, computers.

You would have to do a little research as to whether or not the cordless keyboard/mouse would work with it, but it would make your life a lot easier.

Plus, I am not sure if the Y jack for the monitor would work.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I may check into the kvm switch if I keep my corded kb & mouse.

I'm really curious about any diffs between the Logitech Cordless Freedom Kb & optical mouse, and the Logitech Cordless Elite Duo Kb & optical mouse. I have read several reviews & looked at lots of pics of both combos, and I don't really see any difference... The only diff I noticed is that one mouse uses more batteries than the other one. Besides that, both Kb's & both mice look exactly the same, and they retail for the same $.