VMWare

Hello everybody,

I just installed the trial of VMWare, which is completely awesome! (for those of you who don't know...it allows you to run a virtual machine instance of windows on your linux box, or visa versa. This allows you to run -any- windows application within linux, as it's really running within windows...which is within linux...)

However, two questions have arrised. Does anybody know of a way to allow the windows VM to make use of the hardware acceleration of my 256MB video card? The driver that installed through VMWare is just a weak one...and even counter strike won't allow me to use anything but software acceleration. No OpenGL Or D3D will work.

Secondly, my mouse sensitivity is OFF THE CHARTS! within the windows VM, it's fine. But in Counter strike, even when set to the lowest sensitivity, even the slightest move of my mouse will jolt my gun to the sky. Any fix to this?

Thanks!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Guest BlackAngel

Hello.

I'm sorry for you but, but for the moment, it is impossible to use a real 3D card on VMWare.

Please refer to this (official) topic :http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jsp...=226&tstart=120

For your mouse problem, did you install the VMWare Tools ?

For me it solve the problem on Windows but, not for old (dos) game like Theme Hospital.

So, It's important to understand that VMware is not for playing.

If you want to play Windozz's games on your linuxbox, it is better to install WineX (http://www.transgaming.com/)

Scuse me for my english, I'm french ;)

Bye.

Edited by BlackAngel

If you really want to play winodws game, install windows on a separate partition and reboot to windows for playing games.

The "religious" argument about using windows is moot: since either way you are using windows, and either way you should have a legal copy of windows to install it.

There are a few pratical reasons for wanting to use VMware: for example if you run a web server on your linux machine in addition to using it for games or whatever. In this case the web page would be downwhile you play CS.

Thanks for the info and the replies. I already do have a dual boot of widows / MDK10, I was just hoping there was a solution to not have to reboot in windows ever. Guess not yet though.

Merci Beaucoup, BlackAngel! Je parle francais petit put, j'etudie en college pour deux ans...huit ans (ago). Excuse mon francais, je suis americain. :)

Bon Chance!

Oh...By the way...I tried to run WineX on my MDK 10 system...though it won't due to a Glibc 2.0 error. I'm told there's no fix for it yet...Redhat 9 and MDK 10 both have the newer version of Glibc that doesn't allow 2.0 to be played or recognised I guess? Not sure...

ANybody got WineX to run on MDK10? If so, what Glibc libraries are you using? I've installed all the libraries on the CDROM as well as the developers package. No luck.

Edited by ShineDesign