bullsh*t anti-linux report

Gowator

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040930/152/f3m48.html

Linux PCs 'used to run pirated Windows'

By Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

Gartner has warned that Linux PCs are being used to install counterfeit copies of Windows, especially in emerging markets such as Asia

PCs running Linux are growing in popularity in part because they can be loaded with a pirated copy of Windows, according to a study from analyst Gartner.

The consulting firm issued a report on Wednesday stating that about 40 percent of Linux PCs will be modified to run an illegal copy of Windows, a bait-and-switch manoeuvre that lowers the cost of obtaining a Windows PC.

In emerging markets, where desktop Linux enjoys wider popularity, the trend is even starker. Around 80 percent of the time, Linux will be removed for a pirated copy of Windows. Pirated copies sell for around $1 in the streets of Shanghai and other cities in Asia and Eastern Europe, but can also be bought in stores selling brand name PCs.

As a result, the number of desktop Linux PCs that ship will exceed the actual percentage of Linux machines that get installed in the real world. Desktop Linux will account for about 5 percent of desktops shipped in 2004, according to Gartner, with 10.5 percent of the desktops in Asia shipping with Linux this year. However, the installed base of Linux will come to only 1.3 percent.

In 2008, Linux will account for 7.5 percent of PCs shipped, but only 2.6 percent of the installed base, about the same that Apple's installed base will be then.

A comparable lack of drivers, training costs and migration headaches will also slow desktop Linux growth.

"Linux on the desktop may be generating a lot of publicity, but there are very few large-scale dedicated Linux deployments," the firm stated. "Governments in several European countries have announced plans to migrate to Linux, but most of these projects are in the evaluation phase."

Price, of course, is a huge motivator in piracy. All of the components inside PCs have dropped in price in the past several years, except Windows. Windows accounted for around 5 percent to 6 percent of the cost of building a "professional"-level PC in 1996. Now, the operating system accounts for 12 percent to 15 percent of the cost.

Still, the growing acceptance of Linux has prompted Microsoft to hatch plans for releasing an inexpensive version of Windows, called Windows XP Starter Edition in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Russia and India.

"It is likely that Microsoft would prefer the initial OS on a new PC to be a Windows variant rather than Linux, even if piracy were to continue," the report stated. "This would reduce the amount of interest that Linux is generating because of its increasing presence on new PCs."

Gartner is a tough audience these days. In August, Gartner wrote a report criticising Windows XP Starter Edition, claiming that it lacked some features and would "likely increase software piracy".

What complete and utter bullshit!

Lets see, if you don't have much money, which are you more likely to do:

1 - Buy a Linux prebuilt computer (as Gartner would have us belive) and pirate Windows onto to it (please...).

2 - Buy parts and build your own computer.

Gee, what a tough question...

2 of course! Prebuilt computers are more expensive, unless they're referring to laptops?

Doesn't hold much water... and what they basing this on? Did they go around to thousands of houses in Asia and ask to see their computers?

You can't write an article based on speculation...

Edited by SoulSe

What striked me is that when they give market share figures they say that the percentage of Linux PCs sold is much higher then the percentage of Linux users. How many of the Linux users have bought a Linux PC? Most of the linux users use a PC that originally came with Windows, because they could not get the model they wanted without it. That is not true of course for those who have build there own system, but unlike what SoulSe seems to think, most computer users tend to buy a prebuild system, because not everybody is able to build his own system.

Conclusion: In my opinion, the linux user market share is probably higher then what the sales of prebuild linux PCs indicates, not the other way around.

Ciao,

Sitor

Edited by sitor

I think both are correct....

1. diehard geeks buy parts and put it together

2. less diehard geeks might buy prebuilt ... but most of us end up paying for an unused windows copy... if we do hence back to 1...

3. I have several PC's my laptop and one other is prebuilt and both came with WinShit and neither were ever used with it... the rest are from scratch...

If MS didnt subjegate the market then more people might buy prebuilt with no OS and choose linux...so the whole thing doesnt make sense...

The real problem is it implies having linux somehow makes pirating Windows easier... (easuier than what buying the pirated and cracked XP for a $)...

:cheeky: nice try but uh no thanks

Its strange how far people go to promote window$ as if they are not earning enough already. Well it took me some time to dare and make the plunge to the open and free world of Linux and i must say i am loving it eventhough i am having issues installing mandrake 10.1 CE and make my wacom tablet work properly. I am comitted to it now and have no desire whatsoever to go back to the excessively expensive winblow$. They keep building ever more crap to satisfy they greed and lust for ever more $. I run 3 computers and all will be switched to Linux shortly. And all my friends have to switch too, because i stop supporting them in xp. Hey coming to think of it XP or XPensive in every way

:deal:

I am living in Shanghai

I have seen many computer shops.

None of them have displayed the wind00ze logo.

I very much was impressed to see a shop where the stand had pc's all running Linux.

Mandrake 10.0 is running there and lot's of people were stoping by to see a different OS.

China is a different country (at list this is how I see it) It will take some time until Linux will rule the pc world here.

When the Chinese gov will impose strong rules on piracy, win will be still available @ 1$, because it's the right price.

That will be a good moment for Linux here

Just imagine how strong and big linux community can be in China. :cheeky:

It's just that Linux it's not know here...not so much.

A romanian living in Shanghai

That will be a good moment for Linux here

Just imagine how strong and big linux community can be in China.  :cheeky: 

It's just that Linux it's not know here...not so much.

General consumer acceptance is harder, but corporate and developer acceptance is already there:

http://lwn.net/Articles/104259/

Yes, piracy crackdown initiated by BSA will only further the trend to move away to Linux, especially in China.

LOL I think MS are misinterpreting reasons to use cracked versions, like personal security and privacy .. DRM content management, registration, activation and stuff

they can give it away and it will just make people realise more why they dont want it ...apart from the price