10.1 community and nvidia 6111 driver

spunky424

i've read post after post trying to install the nvidia driver on 10.1...first i upgraded the kernel-source but which one do i pick? there are 5 different choices..this is coming off a fresh install of 10.1 community..

on to the next question..everytime i pick a kernel-source then try to install the nvidia driver it says something about wrong ncompatible kernel-source or something of that sort. it still compiles and runs saying it created its own kernel but when i change nvidia and glx in the xorg.conf file , then use init 5 to come back into kde it wont start up.... only way back is to change glx and nvidia back to normal...can anyone help me?

i'm a newb and jus started mandrakelinux 10.1 like last weekend..

:thanks:

Mandrake use urpmi to install software (see the FAQs of this board). It takes care of any dependencies. So if you have installed Mandrake with a particular kernel and want to install the kernel-source all you have to do is give (as root) in a console: urpmi kernel-source and the correct source will be installed.

The nvidia installer doen't build it's own kernel, it builds a 'slot' unto the kernel to wich it binds (locks) the driver (sort off). But you can just ignore this.

The lock-ups probably occure because the driver isn't installed correctly. Just do nvidia-installer --uninstall (in runlevel 3 (the terminal screen)), install the correct kernel-source and try again.

Good luck.

PS I thought Mandrake 10.1 came with the kernel-source installed?

when i type in urpmie kernel-source this is wut i get:

One of the following packages is needed:

1- kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.7-1.mm.6mdk.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel. (to install)

2- kernel-tmb-source-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel. (to install)

3- kernel24-tmb-source-2.4.26-1.tmb.2mdk.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel. (to install)

4- kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-10mdk.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel. (to install)

5- kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.8.1-10mdk.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build. (to install)

What is your choice? (1-5)

which one should i pick? thanks for helping me out

devries: no, it doesn't mean that. since kernel-source doesn't require kernel, and kernel doesn't require kernel-source (this is correct), urpmi cannot know which kernel-source package to install. (besides, you can have any number of different kernels installed). Only options 4 and 5 in that list would work. option 1 is for kernel-multimedia-2.6, the "bleeding-edge" kernel in 10.1 (built by Svetoslav Slavtchev). option 2, kernel-tmb-source, is for the tmb kernel, the previous bleeding-edge kernel, which was built by Thomas Backlund. There's no real reason to use this over kernel-multimedia-2.6. option 3 is for the 2.4 version of Thomas's kernel, which there's not much reason to use any more either (unless 2.6 doesn't work for you and there's some reason tmb's 2.4 is better than stock mdk 2.4). only options 4 and 5 are appropriate for standard MDK kernels.

thanks liquid, i was looking for that thread to help spunky out, couldn't find it. yep, 2.6.8.1-10 does manifest the problem. it'll happen in any kernel 2.6.8.1-mm2 or later (mdk's kernel fits the bill).

thanx everybody for helping me out..i saw that thread a while ago when i was looking for a solution to my problem..i tried it once before with the pm.h file but i will give it a shot again..thanx alot...i'll let you knwo how it goes

alright update: i got the nvidia driver installed correctly with no problems what so ever by using the pm.h file and also adding --add-this-kernel to the end of the exec command, but when changing the xorg.conf file for "nvidia" and "glx". i couldnt get back into xorg when i entered init 5 or startx. here is the nvidia log:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'

creation time: Wed Sep 29 18:44:15 2004

option status:

license pre-accepted : false

update : false

force update : false

expert : false

uninstall : false

driver info : false

no precompiled interface: false

no ncurses color : false

query latest driver ver : false

OpenGL header files : false

no questions : false

silent : false

X install prefix : /usr/X11R6

OpenGL install prefix : /usr

Installer install prefix: /usr

kernel source path : (not specified)

kernel install path : (not specified)

proc mount point : /proc

ui : (not specified)

tmpdir : /root/tmp

ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

-> License accepted.

-> A precompiled kernel interface for kernel 'Linux 2.6.8.1-10mdk #1 Wed Sep 8

17:00:52 CEST 2004 i686' has been found here:

./usr/src/nv/precompiled/precompiled-nv-linux.o-1.0-6111.1096497780.

executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; /usr/bin/ld -d -r -o nvidia.ko precompiled-nv-l

inux.o nv-kernel.o'...

-> Kernel module linked successfully.

-> Installing both new and classic TLS OpenGL libraries.

-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86' (1.0-6111):

executing: './usr/src/nv/makedevices.sh'...

executing: '/sbin/ldconfig'...

executing: '/sbin/depmod -aq'...

-> done.

-> Driver file installation is complete.

-> Running post-install sanity check:

-> done.

-> Sanity check passed.

-> Shared memory test passed.

-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86

(version: 1.0-6111) is now complete. Please update your XF86Config or

xorg.conf file as appropriate; see the file

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for details.

does anythign seem fishy? or is everything okay? anyonw know why i cant change the xorg.conf file and enter xorg...thanks

Hi, u need to check one more thing to make sure the driver loads properly including 3d et all.

Check the /usr/X11/XF86Config file and see if it has a reference to libglx.a in the modulkes section. Thats needs to be changed to libglx.so.1.0.6111 ie that it was in my case. see the following thread for the complete story:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=19143&st=15

Cheers