Can I secure folder through password? - SOLVED

te-tsuo

OK, I have download and install this package. I use drakloop command and the window was a window there I write the path to a directory with I want to secure. I have written a password(20 characters min?), then I have pushed ok and the windows has closed. After that when I click on my secured directory but now there is only directory lost+found. Ok but how I can see what really there is. I have fought that after clicking on this directory the window will show where I write a password and I see the right content.

Drakloop is basically a graphical way to create an encrypted directory where you can put your sensitive data over there. In order to decrypt it, you need to use two CLI commands called mountloop and umountloop, so you need to have a console open.

If you need more information about those two commands read the documents located at

/usr/share/doc/mountloop-(version number)/README

As far as graphical way to mount and umount the encrypted directory, I don't think there is any considering the number of Desktop Environment and Windows Manager out there. Although you may create icons that runs a script to mount and umount the encrypted directory if you want to.

Little pity that there is no easier way to do encrypt / decrypt directories/files using i.e. right click:-(

Hey, SuSe does that :P

Then again, the process of making a public/private key is not exactly straightforward (read: it is confusing)

Edited by Darkelve

Little pity that there is no easier way to do encrypt / decrypt directories/files using i.e. right click:-(

Hey, SuSe does that :P

Then again, the process of making a public/private key is not exactly straightforward (read: it is confusing)

It does?!

Or do you mean the option "Archive & Encrypt Folder" when you right click a file/folder in konqueror?

If you mean that, then mandrake supports that also, as long as you have kgpg installed. But it's different from mountloop/umountloop which mount/umount an encrypted directory, so that you can put files in it.

There's something you could do in Mandrake if you use Nautilus. This file-manager has a special directory where you can put your own scripts, which appear in the right-click menu. So you could put the mount and umount scripts inside this directory, and use them on the encrypted directory-file, to open/close it.

Yves

Or do you mean the option "Archive & Encrypt Folder" when you right click a file/folder in konqueror?

If you mean that, then mandrake supports that also, as long as you have kgpg installed. But it's different from mountloop/umountloop which mount/umount an encrypted directory, so that you can put files in it.

Yeah, I think it's that. I always get confused whether something is distro-specific or KDE-generic (hey, KDE is -that- good :D )

Edited by Darkelve