Can I change red root login wallpaper?

te-tsuo

oh no! It would be just horrible for anyone to 'royally bugger up your system' and have to reinstall, learning from their mistake, and most of all, on their own. It IS ok to do this, logon as root. Millions are doing it as we speak ;) So who's the guest here? I also don't recall anyone asking how to logon as root here. There is nothing root can do in gui that can not easily be repaired. CLI root is much more dangerous ;)....but that's ok, uh? :lol2:

spiny, only political and religious discussions are banned

Edited by bvc

Hi RONAN. Please give it up, you are only preaching, not contributing, by carrying on.

As BVC says we CHOOSE to go into root because we accept the risks and this is emphasized in all the posts we make. BVC has made more HELP posts on MUB than just about everyone else put together. He ALWAYS made the point of saying enter root at your own risk. If that is not a strong message to newbies then I do not know what is. I echo bvc s' other points as well but he doesn't need me to back him up to validate them. Cheers bvc.

John.

Hello te-tsuo. :thanks:

Thanks to your efforts, I have found, as extra information from my experimenting, that it is only necessary to DELETE ONLY THE LETTER <B> AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NUMBERS CONTAINED WITHIN THE INVERTED COMMAS.

The numbers then seem to have NO effect because the Login background colour as selected in KDE Control Centre ..............> System Administration..........> Log in Manager is applied. There is no temporary flickering or anything, It just logs straight into ROOT without a fuss.

Thanks and cheers. :thumbs: John.

As a general rule the protection is there for the users in linux....

as a general rule if you cant work out how to do it then you probably shouldnt....

running the GUI as root is a bit pointless....and pretty stupid.

aussiejohn.... if you are - someone is not comfortable from the CLI your not really competent to undo the damage you can cause as root and change the background color..if you cant do that then make sure all your data is backed up and you are happy to reinstall that day when you hit the wrong button...

Running your browser/mail client/p2p clients/webserver or FTP server or mail server as root you WILL get what you deserve sooner or later. If its on an open port and you run it as root you will be hacked! When you do get hacked gfor doing this and have the police calling because your computer is being used to SPAM please don't ask ME for help....

There is nothing root can do in gui that can not easily be repaired
.. what apart from trashing the filesystem or a tree... changing permissions etc. etc. but apart from loosing all your unbacked up data and needing a new install....

if i want to copy certain data-folder from hd1 to hd2, the root environment with several windows open to watch the process is more useful than doing everything with the cli imho.

again unneeded If you cant work out how to start konqueror as root from the CLI sheesh!

and why have a go at Ronin just for saying what any one else would do...

unless YOU personally are going to take whoever's hand and repair the damage and magic back those files then

Still its your computers....

professionally, I think i would probably sack someone doing it at work...even in France that would be grounds of gross professional misconduct.

edits:

Edited to cover my stupid mistake which made it look like I was calling AussieJohn stupid :woops: but added strikeout and kept the text....

:woops: