Can I change red root login wallpaper?

te-tsuo

Please dont do that. Its that painful red for a reason. It's a reminder that you're not supposed to be logged on as root, no need to do so. Any work that needs to be done as root can be done logged on as your users through a term.

Hello Ronan. We all should know the need to be careful about being in ROOT. But some of us are also quite bemused at the almost paranoid concern by others for OUR OWN COMPUTERS. I am like our good friend BVC ( and I mean that) and many others in that we accept that root is a place to be careful in but we are not terrified to be in it or careless in it.

I personally do not find the Command line easy to use for other than installing some tarball source applications. So su..ing in a console is not a personal preference for most other things. Going into root and doing what I want to do in graphical mode is my choice........I do what I want to do and then I exit.......no fuss, no bother.

I am thankful for this threads original poster, te-tsuo, in informing me where I can make this kind of change. :thumbs:

I have been trying for ages to change the "fire" red to something different that still subtly reminds me I am entering root without being visually blasted with a red screen.

te-tsuo, I just hunted to where you recommended but am not sure what changes to make so could you please give more detail for one who is not a programmer but can follow instructions competently???

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello Ronan.  We all should know the need to be careful about being in ROOT.  But some of us are  also quite bemused at the almost paranoid concern by others for OUR OWN COMPUTERS.  I am like our good friend BVC ( and I mean that)  and many others in that we accept that root is a place to be careful in but we are not terrified to be in it or careless in it. 

I personally do not find the Command line easy to use for other than installing some tarball source applications.  So su..ing in a console is not a personal preference for most other things.  Going into root and doing what I want to do in graphical mode is my choice........I do what I want to do and then I exit.......no fuss, no bother. 

I am thankful for this threads original poster,  te-tsuo,  in informing me where I can make this kind of  change.  :thumbs: 

I have been trying for ages to change the "fire" red to something different that still subtly reminds me I am entering root without being visually blasted with a red screen. 

te-tsuo,  I just hunted to where you recommended but am not sure what changes to make so could you please give more detail for one who is not a programmer but can follow instructions  competently???

Cheers.                                    John.

A number of people have made the comment that the red login screen

is to warn you that you are running in root. I understand the hazards of

running in root, but if I just typed in "root" and then the root password

I don't really need to be reminded that I'm logging in as root. Otherwise

it's our sys and I can change anything if I want to!!!Really!!

P.S. If anyone like blue rather then red I think he can change it on blue keeping in mind that blue screen is when he is login as root!

AussieJohn, there are Your details ;

In /etc/X11/ and edit Xsession

You mast find

#Mandrake default background

if ["'whoami'" = root];then

xsetroot -solid "XXXXXX"

You mast change XXXXXX to i.e. 21449C - for some kind of blue :-)

and that is all:-)

You don't need to worry about in /usr/bin/startkde I think. Any trouble please write to me on priv!

B)

I am thankful for this threads original poster, te-tsuo, in informing me where I can make this kind of change. :thumbs:

hehehe, we had this topic around two months ago. open your eyes, aussiejohn! :cheesy: just kidding...

now to the root thing. the red is there to remind us if we are new users. but actually, there is nothing wrong changing the color. mine is plain black.

and this "don't login as root" stuff is imho nonsense. the root environment lets me better track visualy of what i am changing on my sys. if i want to copy certain data-folder from hd1 to hd2, the root environment with several windows open to watch the process is more useful than doing everything with the cli imho.

...but everyone has his personal approach... :)

Thanks arctic. Where exactly was that earlier thread??? :oops::oops: I remember the one where the red wall paper was replaced for login or such like but never saw one about changing the colour that appears BEFORE the login wallpaper is placed.

You have me really curious now.

On the security of root aspect I agree with you wholeheartedly. :thumbs:

Cheers. John

That is why I did not follow on it . It was the subject ........Fluxbox, idesk, and backgrounds

I remember now that I saw the title and read some of the discussion which I found confusing so then ignored it.

This present thread is about Mandrake specifically and the te-tsuo suggestion is more direct.

Non geeks like myself do not always realise that answers for other OS types can be applied to Mandrake.

Now I don't feel so bad. :D

Cheers. John

That's all fine and dandy for you guys. You want to log on as root be our guests,

My problem is that you're saying its ok as it's our system can give new users the mistaken idea that it's ok to do this. And it is, sort of, if you know what the heck you're doing if you dont it's a nice fast easy way to royally bugger up your system. And seeing as we're supposed to be a help forum we should at least try to set a good example for the new kids.

And if you have to ask how to log on as root you're obviously not ready to do so and shouldn't be.

Now that I may have started this squabble all over again, I swear that wasnt my intention it's coffee time. :headbang: