Linux on My Laptop

liquidzoo

Some of the background on this thread comes from here: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1705 I said I would post how my install went on my Inspiron 8200. Since it arived today (2 days before they told me it would ship, how's that for fast) here is the promised thread.

Let's start out with the specs of the machine:

P4 1.7GHz

15" SXGA+ display (capable of 1400x1050 max resolution)

32 MB GeForce4Go

40 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

8x DVD

256 MB RAM

Modular Floppy

This particular machine came with Windows XP Home pre loaded and included all the rescue disks. To start off, I installed Partition Magic and took the Window partition down from 40 GB to just under 10, I left the rest unpartitioned for the time being. I then put the Mandrake 9 install disk in and rebooted.

I had to press F12 after the Dell splash screen to tell it to boot to the cd, but after that, I started the Mandrake 9.0 install. I chose to go with KDE for this particular installation. It was something I was familar with, after some time, I may choose to change to a different X manager. I really like the way the new Enlightenment looks.

Then I got to the point that I needed to test the X configuration (I selected the 1400x1050 Generic Flat Panel display). All it displayed was a garbled image. I had done some searching before my install, and thanks to this discussion http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...&highlight=8200 I was ready for that. I accepted the configuration and continued on with the installation. Everything installed beautifully, no surprises at all.

I rebooted and installed the Nvidia drivers (I burned them to a cd) from the console, I always boot to init 3, made the necessary changes to my XF86Config-4 file and rebooted 1 more time. After logging in, I typed startx and everything came up the way it should have. I am typing this right now from my new laptop.

One thing I have noticed that is bad, I can't seem to get the DVD player working in Xine. I will install Ogle and give that a try. Other than that, it was a flawless install.

If anyone is looking to get a laptop, I definitely recommend the 8200 from Dell. Everything works great. My next project will be to add Wireless internet access for it. I will let everyone know how it goes. If anyone has any ideas about the DVD playback, I would love to hear them. That's the only thing I still need to get working.

I found out that I have to update my xine to the latest version available in plf (1.0 beta) and plugins in order to play my Fantasia 2000 dvd. Even then it sometimes crashes. I also have to make sure that I have a /dev/dvd symlink to /dev/scd1 (which is my dvdrom). Try it out.. maybe it works.

Dell's website lists your MB/Chipset as Intel 845MP which may suffer from the same problem with kernel 2.4.19(Mandrake 9.0 kernel) as Intel 845E and 845G. It's kind of a long shot but here's a link describing the problem and its solution:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...=639&highlight=

You can tell if the above applies to you if you are getting the following message during boot:

PCI:device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collision

and if you can not enable dma on your hard drive as discussed in the above link.

The fix is to upgrade the kernel to 2.4.20 which you can get from Cooker in rpm form. I couldn't get my DVDs to play until I got dma enabled on my hard drive which I could only do with kernel 2.4.20( 845E chipset).

That's not the problem, when I run hdparm -v /dev/hda it shows that dma is enabled for the drive.

I tried to install xine 1.0 beta from plf, but it says that I need xine 0.93. When I try to install xine 0.93 it says that it's already installed. I'm not sure where to go from here.

In the Xine setup, under "input" I have the path for the local dvd device set as /dev/dvd which I beleive is the default setting. Check your /dev directory and see if /dev/dvd exists. If not, try creating a link to your dvd drive:

# ln -s /dev/hdx /dev/dvd

where hdx is your dvd drive. If it does exist, check to see it is properly linked to your dvd drive.

setup is correct and the simlink for /dev/dvd points to the right place (I think, it points to the same place that the link for the cdrom does)

When I try to play a dvd, I get this error:

There is no plugin available to handle

'dvd://VIDEO_TS.VOB'

Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist

I've seen at lease one other with this error, but I never did see a resolution for it.

Ok.. this is what I installed in order to play dvds on Xine. Let's just do a comparison.

[dmage@spitfire dmage]$ rpm -qa |grep xine

xine-dvdnav-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine_dmd_plugin-1.0.7-1plf

libxine1-docs-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-d5d-0.2.7-2plf

xine-alsa-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-plugins-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-ui-0.9.15-2mdk

xine-ui-aa-0.9.15-2mdk

libxine1-1-0.beta0.1plf

libxine0-0.9.13-8plf

xine-win32-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-esd-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-dxr3-1-0.beta0.1plf

xinetd-2.3.7-3mdk

xine-aa-1-0.beta0.1plf

libxine1-devel-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-arts-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-faad-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine_d4d_plugin-0.3.2-2plf

[dmage@spitfire dmage]$ rpm -qa |grep dvd

libdvdnav1-devel-0.1.3-1mdk

xine-dvdnav-1-0.beta0.1plf

libdvdcss2-1.2.4-1plf

libdvdcss2-devel-1.2.4-1plf

libdvdread2-0.9.3-3mdk

libdvdread-utils-0.9.3-3mdk

libdvdnav1-0.1.3-1mdk

libdvdread2-devel-0.9.3-3mdk

Try installing all those programs from plf. The error message you see is the result that xine cannot decode the dvd due to the encryption. So your /dev/dvd symlink is ok..

Ok, I run the same commands and I get the following:

[liquidzoo@localhost liquidzoo]$ rpm -qa |grep xine

xinetd-2.3.7-3mdk

xine-ui-0.9.13-2mdk

xine-aa-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-d5d-0.2.7-2plf

xine-dxr3-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-plugins-0.9.13-3mdk

xine-oss-0.9.13-3mdk

libxine0-0.9.13-8plf

libxine0-docs-0.9.13-8plf

xine-alsa-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine_d4d_plugin-0.3.2-2plf

xine-divx4-0.9.13-8plf

libxine1-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine-esd-1-0.beta0.1plf

libxine0-devel-0.9.13-8plf

xine-arts-1-0.beta0.1plf

xine_dmd_plugin-1.0.7-1plf

xine-ui-aa-0.9.15-2mdk

xine-xvid-0.9.13-8plf

[liquidzoo@localhost liquidzoo]$ rpm -qa |grep dvd

libdvdcss-ogle0-0.0.3-9plf

libdvdcss2-devel-1.2.4-1plf

libdvdread2-0.9.3-3mdk

libdvdread-utils-0.9.3-3mdk

libdvdcss2-1.2.4-1plf

libdvdread2-devel-0.9.3-3mdk

[liquidzoo@localhost liquidzoo]$

I can see that you have a couple of things installed that I don't; namely the xine-plugins-1-0.beta0.1plf and it's libraries. I try to install it, and I get the message that xine-plugins == 0.9.13 is needed, but I can see that it is installed. I try to urpmi it, and it tells me that everything is already installed. I can't install the other 3 things that you have and I don't without that plugin file, but I'm not sure how to go about installing it. Any ideas?

I was actually in the process of doing that when you wrote that response. I made sure to install everything you had (since it's working for you) and it works now! Fantastic!

Now, if I can get the wireless card working tomorrow; I'll be all set.

One more question, though; not related to the laptop (I don't think)

When I start X after boot, I have 2 copies of gkrellm running. I only need/want 1. Any ideas on how I can get just 1 starting and not 2?

Ok, got the wireless stuff, here's how it went:

I bought a Siemens SpeedStream 1021 Wireless PCMCIA Card and a Netgear ME102 Wireless Access point. The access point was pretty easy to set up, I did have to use Windows, though. I wonder if the USB config interface will work under Linux.

I bought the Siemens card because it said on the box that it was compatible with Linux (although their site said they do not use the card with Linux)

When I first started up, I got a kernel message saying that an unsupported card was in the PCMCIA slot. No problem, I thought.

I followed the instructions http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...1573&highlight= here and from the siemens knowledge base here: http://www.speedstream.com/support/1021main.html

After I got everything all set up, I rebooted and entered the Mandrake Control Center. I looked at the hardware list, and my card was there under eth1! I ran the config tool and within moments, I was online. This worked out easier than I thought.

For my next trick, I am going to see if I can get the "Dell buttons" on the laptop working. Specifically, the ones that turn the builtin speakers up and down. Anyone had luck trying to do this? Also, anyone know where I can go to turn the alert speaker down/off?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now I am having an issue with my laptop. Maybe someone can help me out.

I want to be able to close the lid and have it suspend. I know it is set to do so in the bios so I figured I would give it a try.

The first time I tried it from within KDE. When I opened the lid, all I got was a garbled screen. I couldn't see anything. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't do anything, I had to hard reboot the machine to get it back. Then I tried locking the screen, so that it was basically off before I closed the lid. This time I didn't get the garbled screen, but when I woke it up, the resolution was all messed up. It almost looked like it was trying to put my screen on a monitor that is 4 times the size that it is.

The last thing I tried was closing the lid from the command prompt. This seems to work just fine. I woke it back up and everything was just fine.

I don't want to have to log out of KDE each time I want to take my laptop anywhere, I would like it to just suspend when I close the lid; baring that, I would like it to not screwq with the resolution when I lock the screen and reopen it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this?

Totally unrelated to this issue, but I also have another thing that is annoying me. When I start KDE I have 2 copies of gkrellm running. One where I want it to be, and the other on the top left hand side of the screen. The one I want there has the theme on it, the other does not. Does anyone know how I can make it so only one copy of gkrellm starts each time I boot my computer up? Also, this is only happening on my laptop. I have no problems like this on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has.