Wireless on my Mandrake laptop

epretorious

Hello, All:

I've been really impressed with MandrakeLinux's wireless implimentation: I insert my D-Link DWL-650 (version 1.02) into the PCMCIA slot and it automatically connects to my AP (i.e., the AP with the strongest signal) and configures networking. :P

However, there are times when I don't want to automatically connect to the strongest AP by default but would rather use another weaker AP - My neighbor's AP, for example - but when I used iwconfig to connect to the AP, iwconfig complains...

[root@zippy root]# iwconfig eth0 ap 00:OF:66:00:CC:69
Invalid hardware address 00:OF:66:00:CC:69
Error for wireless request "Set AP Address" (8B14) :
   invalid argument "00:OF:66:00:CC:69".

Because my neighbors and I all have Linksys AP's and none of us has changed the BSSID of the AP, our AP's are all identified as 'linksys' so using `iwconfig eth0 essid "MyAP"` isn't an option. (I'm sure that the MAC address is correct - I captured it using kismet.)

What's wrong with iwconfig?

Edited by epretorious

• 3 weeks later...

When changing you ESSID using IWCONFIG, do not use the quotes (assuming). You should be able to set all the paremeters specific to your AP using the command.

Please also read the Man pages. In case you don't know type MAN IWCONFIG in terminal. This will give you all the info you would want on IWCONFIG.

There's a program called kwifimanager that allows you to have muliple configurations of one wifi card and choose which one to use. Perhaps that will work?

KWiFiManager looks very promising. However, it won't save any of the changes that I make. (i.e., I have to re-enter the configurations each time I look at them.) :blink:

I haven't tried selecting an AP by MAC address lately, but I have been very successfull using iwconfig to select AP's by essid (though sometimes M10 arbitrarily changes back to the AP with the strongest signal). :D

When changing you ESSID using IWCONFIG, do not use the quotes (assuming).

When specifying the AP by essid, the AP's essid should be enclosed in quotes.

When specifying the AP by MAC address, the AP's MAC address should not be enclosed in quotes.

Edited by epretorious