Help please! Mandrake won't shut down

Guest talLinux

Guest talLinux

Hello everybody. I really need help! :help:

I don't know what silly thing I did, but since yesterday I can't shut down or reboot correctly my Mandrake 10.0 Official.

I tried both with graphical tool and command line 'shutdown', but I get the message 'F*CK!I can't find sys_call_table[]'

Could anyone suggest me what to do (apart from formatting and re-installing the system) ?

:P Thanks in advance.

What file system did you use? If ext3 or reiserfs just power off and reboot. I am, however, concerned about what you may have done. Verify that your boot folder and lilo.conf file is ok. There is a rescue on the Mandrake cd1, so don't panic yet.

Guest talLinux

Hello and thanks indeed for replying.

I really don't know I did I get in this mess...I found two viruses (linux-sniffer and linux.lion),maybe could be their fault.Or perhaps some update caused a fatal error in the kernel (there's something wrong in syslogd (system logger) with kernel 2.6. When the system starts, the message 'syslogd invelid option --a' appears. If I use kernel 2.4, I can stop and reboot but I can't start server X(command line only!).

I checked the filesystem and the boot folder is ok, but there's no lilo.conf file in it! Where can I find it into mandrake CD 1?In which folder,I mean.

Thank you for any help you can add.

Best regards.

:oops:

Well, that's a good one. In three years I have never seen a linux virus, and you have two of them! While I have heard of them, the only ones I knew about were all in the lab; nothing in the wild. It's just too easy to make a linux system secure.

I would be curious as to how they did the damage. A stereo-typical linux system needs root permission to launch a program. Did you not set up a "root" account on the system?

I would be tempted to completely reformat the drive and rebuild the system. If you have the details about these virii, a repair could be done. To reinstall lilo, boot with the first cd. At the splash hit F1. Type "rescue" and select "reinstall bootloader" from the menu that eventually comes up.

Guest talLinux

Hello again.

About the virii: I set a password-protected root account on my system,following mandrake installer instructions and I'm really not sure the problem with syslogd is virii's fault. On the other hand it's sure that I am a linux newbie and that I must learn a lot about how to get a linux system secure :P

I could remove them through bitdefender console linux-edition. They both were in /lib/ldd.so/ folder.

The system works fine and no file seems to be damaged. The only thing I can't do is rebooting or shutting down correctly, because that damned "sys_call_table" is missing.

Anyway I'm making backup copies of most important files, and preparing for what looks like the only solution: formatting and re-installing. :wall:

Regards

ixthusdan, linux viruses / worms do exist. they're generally known as rootkits, as their aim is usually to get access to the root account. they are quite rare, though, which leads me to suspect that maybe that anti-virus thing made a false detection and deleted something vital...

ixthusdan, linux viruses / worms do exist. they're generally known as rootkits, as their aim is usually to get access to the root account. they are quite rare, though, which leads me to suspect that maybe that anti-virus thing made a false detection and deleted something vital...

....which is really what I am thinking! :juggle: