Help installing Gnome 2.8 - SOLVED

Guest slither

you might find some info there → gnome.org - 2.8 desktop & developer platform but i am afraid you will have to compile it from sources. but you can alternatively grab the 2.6 rpms from cooker.

or simply install ubuntu-linux :P

Edited by arctic

last info: gnome "2.8" (actually it is 2.7 branch) for mandrake is available here

http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/

but beware! it is still in testing phase (cooker!), so it could leave your whole gnome desktop system messed up = useless.

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=18738

just did this again yesterday with the newer pkgs and all is working :P as opposed to the first attempt a week ago. BE WARNED: be prepared to do some repairing from cli if it doesn't work out for you. NOTE: You have to be 10.1 (cooker) not 10 to use them. Took me a couple of hours to get everything straight again and remove the crud to get a cleaner base to install from.

these rpms are built against Cooker. 10.1CE and Cooker are currently the same (assuming you update your CE from online repositories) so it will obviously work with both. The directory is called 2.7 because Goetz started building these several months back when it was still the 2.7 dev branch, and the directory serves as an urpmi repository so changing the name would force everyone to change their urpmi settings. The rpms will not work with 10.0 as they have several 10.1 specific dependencies.

well, I might as well jump in on this thread since it pretty much pertains to a question I was about to ask. I was wondering about upgrading to gnome 2.8 but since it's still in cooker and could mess up my system I think I should hold off till I'm more comfortable with linux. I'm guessing getting gnome 2.6 should be no problem though. I'm guessing I could do this through urpmi (not sure, I just started using urpmi yesterday) and if so what would be the command. Wlould a simple

urpmi gnome

work or would

urpmi upgrade gnome

Sorry if my question seems obvious, I"m still learning :P

whenever doing something big like that, especially gnome, do not be logged into gnome. Either be in another de/wm or better...init 3. The do, if you haven't already, and want to be sure your sources are updated

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select

but that will get more than gnome if other pkgs are available.

urpmi gnome-session

will get you gnome, or at least the gnome core.

Edited by bvc

whenever doing something big like that, especially gnome, do not be logged into gnome. Either be in another de/wm or better...init 3. The do, if you haven't already, and want to be sure your sources are updated

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select

but that will get more than gnome if other pkgs are available.

urpmi gnome-session

will get you gnome, or at least the gnome core.

But neither of those options would get me a full gnome system, just core? Would it be better for me to download all the rpms via ftp and install them in init 3 ?

it's best just to do

urpmi --auto-select

If there's anything you do not want upgraded, put them in /etc/urpmi/skip.list

I currently have in there

kernel

kernel-source

lilo

grub

initscripts

but put whatever you want...urpmi should workout everything

it's best just to do

urpmi --auto-select

If there's anything you do not want upgraded, put them in /etc/urpmi/skip.list

I currently have in there

kernel

kernel-source

lilo

grub

initscripts

but put whatever you want...urpmi should workout everything

Ah, I think I see what you are saying. Doing "urpmi --auto-select" is going to grab everything that can be updated...except for the stuff that I specifically list in the skip.list file that I don't want upgraded. Thanks for the explanation bvc, helpful as always :thanks: