Only root is allowed to print.... [SOLVED]

RuneJensen

Yes, I used Mandrake Control Center to install my printer. Unfortunately I have to login as root to be able to access this program, and I guess this is why only root is able to use the printer. I've already tried to remove and reinstall the printer, but it doesn't help. Is it possible to install the printer without logging in as root? Or is there some way of changing the “ownership” of the file://dev/something...?

Suggestions...

* Don't login as root, login as user

* start the Mandrake Control Center, you will be asked to fill in the root password

* setup your printer

Does it work?

p.s. I never have to login as root to start the MCC - what is exactly your problem? How do you start the mcc?

ALT + F2 -- then type: mcc -- hit enter

Edited by anna

Thanks for answering.

I see I wasn't too clear on how I open the MCC :) What I do is exactly like you suggest, except that I have started MCC from the start menu.

Here is the error message I get when trying to delete a print job as a user:

post-7452-1096313947_thumb.jpg

I get the same error message if I try to “move to printer”, a task that is done automatically if I have logged in as root. So basically I can neither print nor delete print jobs without logging in as root, though it is possible to get the jobs to appear in KJobViewer.

It might be possible to give user some root privileges, but I haven't tried that yet. (Not that I know how it is done..)

Edited by RuneJensen

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Guess I have no idea how to help you. Did your printer work on a previous Linux install?

A quick googling 'lexmark e210 linux' brings up that this is a so called GDI or winprinter - wow, did not know that there are such things as winprinters (besides winmodems).

Good luck.

Anyone else, devries? <-- is a real expert :-)

The misunderstanding was entirely my fault as there is a big difference between logging in as root and using a root password to enter MCC.

My previous Linux install (SuSE 9.1 one week ago) had even greater difficulties with my printer, and I was never able to print anything else than a demo page. SuSE 9.1 also gave me a lot of CUPS error messages every time I turned of the computer, so Mandrake 10.0 is definately an improvement. That I am not able to print things without logging in as root as quite annoying though.

Rune,

I just had a look at linuxprinting.org, your printer:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer....um=Lexmark-E210

known as working perfectly - with the drivers that Lexmark provides:

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/down...me=&fileID=1171

But I am very unsure, maybe it's just what you thought, changing user rights for a certain dir - dunno, sorry.

• 1 month later...