Can't Get Net Going :(

AbaddonXD

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

open a console (the little black monitor icon), type "su" then enter root password. now type "ifup eth0" does it work? if not, please type "ifconfig eth0" and post the result. also show your /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 file. and take a look in your mandrake control center → hardware section. is your network-card identified by mandrake?

:)

Edited by arctic

okay, if you don't know how to show your file-info i will tell you. :)

open konqueror. got to the most basic folder of your system → /

now open the /etc folder, then the sys-config folder then the network (or was it network-scripts? :unsure:) folder. there you will find a file called ifcfg-eth0 open this file with a double click. a new window should pop up. press ctrl+a (select all) then strg+c (copy) and paste it in here (the topic where you are answering) with ctrl+v.

from a console it is quite similar. you can use (if you prefer) the mouse. move the mouse-cursor to the first letter, press left mouse button and keep it pressed. now move the mouse button down. you will see that the text gets marked again (as in the editor before). now copy that text and paste it in here. ;)

Edited by arctic

lol if im able to post in here on linux i wouldnt be askin for help =D

but for ifup eth0 i got

/sbin/ifup: line 427: 3105 Hangup

/etc/init.d/tmdns reload 7/dev/null 2711

i wrote it down an i think i wrote it down correctly

i didnt right down ifconfig etho0 cuz it was WAY to much to write out then have to type in here :)

note: im using windows right now cuz it has the net going.. but linux doesnt =/

okay, now do the following: read this first, it has some incredible information for setting up networks. it helped me and others a lot.

Setting up a single PC with static ethernet IP address

and while you try to set up your network, in case it doesn't work, disable your firewall in mandrake control center and try your net connection again. but first, read the above stuff. (no, there are no nice pictures of mickey mouse included... just plain boring text. :P)

Edited by arctic

the guy said he hasn't tested it... well, just in order to make something clear: he is a professional sys-admin, as far as i know and one of the best on this board with regard to networking. so, you can trust his howto. ;)

now, please post here the result of your "ifconfig eth0" command in the console and the contents of your ifcfg-eth0 file. otherwise we can hardly help you. :)

and... be patient... i had to "work" two weeks on my damn network to get it running (the cause of my trouble was a broken cable though :P).

ABIT IC7 BIOS 26

P4 2.8C

512X2 Dual Channel Samsung PC3200

Seagate 120 SATA

Seagate 200 SATA

LiteON 52XCDRW

SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer

ATI Sapphire 9600 Pro

DAVICOM 9102-Based Fast Ethernet Adapter

^ Is my hardware

well ill go to ifconfig eth0.. itll take m awhile cuz i gotta write it down manualy on paper thenw ill write it back on here....

I'm sorry. I wasn't being clear. I mean what is you network map, the actual hardware connecting to get to the internet? Aern't you hooking up your computer through ethernet to a cable modem? Do you also have a router or any such device working? Are you behind any type of firewall? :D