No CD writer on desktop - SOLVED

payasam

If you unticked ................ Printer then yes it will crash out. Just leave the printer one alone. It appears to have been a bug since Mandrake 9.2 and still has not been fixed even in 10.0-Official which is a bit of a disgrace really but not too significent.

The printer icon will not appear on the desktop anyway so don't worry.

The single click answer is for whoever asked for it even if you didn't.

Cheers. John.

Thanks, John. Having a printer icon cluttering up the desktop would be silly considering that applications call the device directly. I go for the disrace option rather than the not significant one.

I've looked everywhere and come to the conclusion that it was Santa Claus, or perhaps one of his reindeer, who wanted information on single clicks.

HELLO payasam. It is great to SEE you. I presume that is a photo of yourself.

Very dignified if I might say so. A great big welcome from we MUBites. I hope we see you here often. It looks like the older generations (notice I did not say OLD) are joining me in making a presence.

Cheers. JOHN.

Yes, John, it is me: and I thank you for your kind words. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they mean here by "avatar", which is a Sanskrit word whose original meaning I know, so I just tinkered with a picture of myself and said "to hell with language". Now would you please expand MUB for me? And do forgive me for having misspelt "disgrace" in my last. Disgraceful, don't you think, considering that I make my living as an editor and writer, having abandoned teaching?

Hello payasam.

MUB.... Mandrake Users Board

This very website. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

While I use spell check to try to make sure that I don't misspell, I do not think to judge others on not doing so. Since I am a two finger typist, I am much more likely to make typo errors.

I know a lot of people are rapid typists and just accept typos as a non event.

Great talking to you and seeing you .

Cheers mate. John.

Guest ansariwn

Hi, relatively similar problem,

I'm running Mandrake 9.2 with KDE on a laptop (Compaq Evo N1020v). If I run Mandrake Control Center 9.2 and goto -> Mount Point, I see my cdrom listed seven times with device names scd0,scd1,..., scd6.

I read about this problem on a forum but I can't remember which one. The cdrom works perfectly fine but I just want to get to the bottom of this strange behaviour.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Wamiq

wamiq@msn.com

I can't help, Ansari Sahab (assuming you are from what is called the Indian sub-continent as I am), except by saying that I was and probably will be in the same boat as you. Strange behaviour - references to devices not present, remarks about kernel being missing, etc. - got me so bugged that yesterday I re-installed Mandrake Official 10.0 from scratch. And guess what? Now there is a CD icon on the desktop. It bugs me when a machine does things which I cannot understand or when it acts arbitrarily.

I have been a relatively fast and very accurate typist for long, John, and it was necessary in the days of manual typewriters. I also tend to be hyper-critical in these matters: but the good thing is that I'm harder on myself than on others.

I struggled to figure out what MUB might have to do with Australia or with age: and the answer turns out to be so bleedin' simple.

Hello payasam.

I just love your wonderful sense of humour. :D :D :D

You have won me as a friend and if I can help you in any way such as sending you Latest versions of Mandrake full 4 cdrom disk sets in the future ( if they are a little difficult to come by over there) then just let me know. It will be a pleasure (not charity) to do it for you.

I think the reason that your second reinstall of Mandrake10-OE went better is because you had already learned a considerable amount about Linux, and Mandrake in particular, that you made better install choices. Do not sell yourself short in that aspect.

It could also be the fact that you setup your /home on a separate partition as recommended and since you had also fixed the icon setting problem on the desktop, then that setting would have been retained in /home during the reinstall.

Cheers for now. :thumbs: John.

Things are generally easier the second time around, John, but this time I had to do the reinstall twice in succession. I may not always make the best choices, but I almost never make the wrong ones. Here, of course, I had the survival of my Windows C: and D: to think about.

Your offer of CDs is generous, but there are people here who download Mandrake (and others distros) and from whom I can get the CDs practically as soon as the software is released and for nothing more than the cost of the media. Now if you could consult a knowledgeable sheep about the shearing of beards...

If I am to be honest, I have not learnt much about the inside functioning of Linux. But having got into computing back in 1969 on a valve operated behemoth with a staggering 32 KILObytes of memory for both programs and data, I have a notion that all these jokers translate the same old ones and zeroes, even if they do it in different ways. As a matter of fact I consider today's coding horribly wasteful. Back in the old days it was considered a real achievement to rewrite a program so as to save 3 bytes.

Thanks for explaining, Adamw. I have long been in the habit of patenting my many Bright Ideas, never mind that no one gives any sort of legal validity to the patents. I cannot now recall how many Laws of the Universe I have formulated.