71 games for Linux

papaschtroumpf

If you own Unreal Tournament 2004, you may not know that it has a huge modding community that develops a lot of free add-on for the games. Those go from tiny changes (like a new weapons), to total conversions into something that doesn't resemble UT2004 in the least.

For example one is a mod to turn the game into a golf game like "Golden Tee", so you may find yourself buying UT2004 (the linux installer is on the same CD as the windows installer) even though you don;t care about First Person Shooters. With the recent release of the Editor's Choice Edition you may find the original edition at a bargain basement price (althoguht the ECE includes several of the mods listed so you don't have to download them).

All those mods are free downloads.

The entire list of mods is constantly being updated in this thread in the Atari forums:

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showth...30&pagenumber=1

Here are a few screenshots that examplify the variety:

Duffer's golf (golf)

http://duffers.beyondunreal.com/images/shots/shot511_2.jpg

UnWheel (driving)

UWPR19_thumb.jpg

Alien swarm (top down arcade style shooter)

CorridorAttackThumb.jpg

Air Buccanneer (hot air ballon combat)

Shot00039t.jpg

Unreal Open (tennis)

UO-Stadium.jpg

With regard to my original post, please be aware that some mods are more difficult to install under linux than others.

Some have linux installers (Red Orchestra, Alien Swarm, ...)

Some are available as zip files that you can unpack into your UT2004 directory (often there will be 2 separate downloads, one exe or umod, and one zip).

Some are available as exe that are in fact SFX archives so you can still unzip them copy the files manually

Some are only available as umods, which is the UT proprietary packaginf format: there is a umod extractor (use google) that you can use to unpack the file.

The worse case is when then use a custom windows exe: you can use wine or someone else's windows machine to extract the files and manually copy them in your install.

Most mods have a support forum of some kind where you will find answers on installation.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Haven't got around to play all the levels of UT2003 yet.....

Do you think UT2004 is much better than UT2003?

I wouldn't say that it's *much* better, although some people make that claim (some people always hated UT2003, not sure why). All of the content from UT2003 is available in UT2004 so a lot of maps will look familiar even though there are plenty of new ones, and there are already 3 bonus packs that add even more maps.

UT2004 introduces Onslaught, a new game mode, that in my opinion is worth the purchase price if UT2004 by itself. This game type introduces vehicles on top of the usual arsenal (well, there are new weapons too).

Even though Onslaught is the only "native" game type that has vehicles, there are plenty of custom maps that introduces them to other game types, such as vCTF: vehicle capture the flag.

UT2004 also re-introduces the Assault gmae type, which exisited in the original UT but was not in UT2003.

I'm definitely glad I got UT2004, I mostly play Onslaught now.

There is a re-vamped UT2004 demo available for Win32 and for Linux, so give it a try, that's the best way to decide if it's worth the upgrade for you.