Can I install normal MDK10 Official on AMD64?

SK_pt

Hi,

MDK10 64 suckz big time, it's now more than 10 applications I can't have on it, so my question is, can I install the normal MDK10 Official distribution on a 64bits machine? It's a AMD64

This is so od, that I will be forced to install Windows XP Pro, because I upgraded the PC and no way back on the processing department.

thanks,

SK

More interesting to know would be: can you just run 32 bit apps on 64 bit Mdklinux?

Normally that too should be possible.

The only thing that must be 64 bits on a 64 bit kernel are the drivers/modules.

For all other stuff it should be possible to use the 32 bit binaries, so just try those before wiping your 64 bit installation. You can always do that later...

And let us know how things work out.

More interesting to know would be: can you just run 32 bit apps on 64 bit Mdklinux?

Normally that too should be possible.

The only thing that must be 64 bits on a 64 bit kernel are the drivers/modules.

It is not possible to have the same libraries of gtk2 for 64bots and 32bits, the urpmi just freaks out when i install via control panel software and libraries.

If someone was able to have libraries for 32 and 64 bits working together i am interested to know how it is done... for me it i not possible,if i install the packages 64bt from the Cds thats ok, but if I try others, even compile them i can'0t do it because installing libraries simply gives me errors.

By the way i cannot boot up the mdk in my system it says "Activating swap partitions" but goes no much further. It really hangs must reset the machine to pass over it.

It is not possible to have the same libraries of gtk2 for 64bots and 32bits, the urpmi just freaks out when i install via control panel software and libraries.

If someone was able to have libraries for 32 and 64 bits working together i am interested to know how it is done... for me it i not possible,if i install the packages 64bt from the Cds thats ok, but if I try others, even compile them i can'0t do it because installing libraries simply gives me errors.

I've never seen an actual AMD64 linux system, let alone a Mandrake AMD64 linux system,

but I want to build an AMD64 system which runs proprietary 32-bit binaries (Maple, Mathematica, S-Plus. SPSS, etc), which I mostly use at present on 32-bit Mandrake.

I would naively suppose that there were two sets of gtk2 libraries, one in

. wherever/lib/

and one in

. wherever/lib64/

And I would (perhaps naively) expect that all the libraries in an AMD64 distribution would be provided in both 32- and 64-bit versions.

How does this work with Mandrake 10.x ?

Would I need Two sets of installation disks ?

Does rpm/urpmi still get confused ?

Regards,

John.

By the way i cannot boot up the mdk in my system it says "Activating swap partitions" but goes no much further. It really hangs must reset the machine to pass over it.

That's actually a RAID issue. The very next line which unfortunately doesn't even print is enabling RAID devices. I managed to see it only after installing MD10 on my old PC last May. Quite a few of us encountered that problem. If you disable RAID support from the kernel things should run ok. Or you could try your luck installing mandrake with the old (alt1) kernel and see what happens. There was a thread in this forum last month dealing with this issue (titled "MD hangs at activating swap partitions" or so) and it might be useful to check it out and see what kind of solutions people came up with. I had to make a rather convoluted installation to make it work on my Asus K8V SE. Works fine now.

Well I bought myself a A64 too 3000+ EPOX 8KDA mobo (nforce3 250Gb) 1 ide drive and 1 scsi drive with scsi controller. No matter if I try to install the system from MDK 10.0 RC1 A64 cd -s or from the newst i586 cooker my system hangs randomly. Sometimes it hangs when formating partitions sometimes when installing packages but I never had copleted the install. I couldn't try the latrest x86_64 cooker because its broken and can't be installed over internet. So is it the fault of system (MDK) or my hardware?