No printing

Hashimoto

Dear fellow users,

Help needed with printing! :help::help::help:

Background: Installed MDK10.0 + all updates up till today (23.9) to my fathers PC. A printer HPLJ 1005 was on and connected during install. It got detected (Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0, foomatic/foo2zjs), but nothing prints.

Now, I have never been printing in linux so I'm a bit confused and need some help in solving this problem.

MCC: Configuring the printer does not seem to affect anything. Trying to print the test page brings up a window saying either: "..sent to printer... already printing" or " ... may take some time...". Nothing ever comes out of the printer.

localhost:631 claims the printer is "idle, accepting jobs". Also I can see the printing queue. Clicking "restart the job" (or something) gives error "client-error-not-possible". And I can't do any administrative jobs: it asks me to login but does not accept su and/or su password :furious3::furious3::furious3: . Absolutely frustrating!

There is no dev/lp0. I guess it should be there if CUPS is directing print jobs there? Dev/printers is though.

lpinfo -v gives:

network socket

network http

network ipp

network lpd

direct canon:/dev/lp0

direct epson:/dev/lp0

direct parallel:/dev/lp0

direct pdf

direct cups2pegg

direct scsi

direct usb:/dev/usblp0

direct usb:/dev/usblp1

direct usb:/dev/usblp2

direct usb:/dev/usblp3

direct usb:/dev/usblp4

direct usb:/dev/usblp5

direct usb:/dev/usblp6

direct usb:/dev/usblp7

direct usb:/dev/usblp8

direct usb:/dev/usblp9

direct usb:/dev/usblp10

direct usb:/dev/usblp11

direct usb:/dev/usblp12

direct usb:/dev/usblp13

direct usb:/dev/usblp14

direct usb:/dev/usblp15

:help: So where to start? What else should I look for? How do I log in as admin in localhost:631? I admit I'm totally lost with this. :help:

:offtopic: Some complaint about user frienliness and menu entries (discussed somewhere else on this board, too): I just can't understand why all those different kinds of printer things get installed in system>configuration>printing: Install OKI.., Lexmark, Mtink etc. I mean, I havenever had a printer and they are still get installed there! And how do you think someone totally new to linux is going to figure out them all. Even I can't after having used linux for some time. It really isn't user friendly at all, just a bloody mess. If linux is ever going to conqueror some userbase it needs to get these more friendly :furious3: No offence to anybody presonally! I'm just a bit frustrated and angry at the moment.

Hashimoto

I had similar problemswhile installing a laser printer on USB.

You don't way what the interface to the printer is, I assume it's parallel port?

I think printerdrake is broken, like most of the drakes, at least that was the case with mine. I had to manually edit /etc/cups/printers.conf because it hada type in the URI

start by making sure the uri points to wherever you believe the printer is mounted.