Download mandrake 10.1 beta?

king_scott_2

wait for the official edition of 10.1. downloading the beta or community edition is imho a waste of time.

what does the final version have that the beta doesn't have? well... more stable programs, less bugs. :D

i think the official edition release will be in november if nothing delays mandrakes release shedule.

Edited by arctic

wait for the official edition of 10.1. downloading the beta or community edition is imho a waste of time.

let me clarify that one in case somebody gets the wrong message. downloading the beta versions for everyday/production use is a waste of time because that is not the intent of these releases and they still have bugs that requires major squashing. downloading/installing them however may benefit you if you fit the following scenarios:

1. you want to get the bleeding edge of the apps and re-compiling everything on your current system might be to laborious than just using the beta version.

2. you want a new feature included in the beta. similar to #1.

3. you want to help the community find the bugs so they dont get to the final version. the more people looking for bugs in the release then the better chance of having a better distro release.

4. you have broadband and you want to be one of the first to have the latest and the greatest. upgrading from a beta to the final release (when it is released) is faster rather than competing with everybody downloading the ISO images. the servers then would be swamped.

there might be more reasons but i cant think of any more right now. :help:

ciao!

If you don't mind helping out, download the last available version and report bugs. Mdk10.1 CE is out, but maybe you can't get it. Then wait, next week (or so) it will be available. Bugs about beta1 will not be taken seriously anymore, I'd guess.

Some more reasons to really want to try beta/rc/ce is if your hardware is not so well supported and/or you have problems with the current version.

Then you can report in case those problems are still there, making sure OE will be as good as it can.