Voodoo Rush (Hercules Stingray 128 3D)

Obsidian

Hello. I have Mandrake 9.3 and had tried to install it on a system with the following specs:

AMD K6-2 400mhz

Hercules Stingray 128 3D (Voodoo Rush chipset)

256mb PC100

ASUS P5A motherboard

Realtek based NIC

no sound card

I had trouble with the video card being "glitchy" after install. It would clip images and windows would leave blocks on the screen when it should have been a blank desktop. It wasn't working right. So, I went back to what worked...Windows 98. I would really like to give Mandrake a try again. I had it installed as a dual-boot with Windows XP and liked it. I just wanted my second system to run it purely...without windows at all. My XP Machine has a GeForce4 440 MX. What do I need to do to get this thing to work? I am currently downloading Mandrake 10.0.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS There is no such thing as Mandrake 9.3 :)

:oops: You are so right. After I typed that, I looked at my CD's. It is 9.2.

Anyways. I just did the install and whatever Mandrake set it up with is what I used. I don't know much about linux. Just trying to get started right.

I did the harware compatability at mandrake.org and it says that my video card should work with 10.0. I also checked all the other components of my system and they should work as well. I'll have to give it a try. 10.0 is done downloading. I will probably install it either tonight or monday. Monday is more likely...but maybe tonight. And I will say goodbye to windows 98.

Start here:

http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howto...fx-HOWTO-8.html

There is an inherent problem when using Voodoo Rush boards with Linux: Basically, these boards are meant to be VGA 2D/3D accelerator boards, either as a single board solution, or with a Voodoo Rush based daughterboard used transparently. The VGA component tied to the Voodoo Rush is a Alliance Semiconductor's ProMotion-AT3D multimedia accelerator. To use this e.g. with XFree86 at all, you need a driver for the AT3D chipset.

There is a mailing list on this, and a web site with FAQ at www.frozenwave.com/linux-stingray128. Look there for most current info. There is a SuSE maintained driver at ftp.suse.com/suse_update/special/xat3d.tgz. Reportedly, the XFree86 SVGA server also works, supporting 8, 16 and 32 bpp. Official support will probably be in XFree86 4.0. XFree86 decided to prepare an intermediate XFree86 3.3.2 release as well, which might already address the issues.

The following XF86Config settings reportedly work.

# device section settings

Chipset "AT24"

Videoram 4032

# videomodes tested by Oliver Schaertel

#  25.18  28.32  for 640 x 480  (70hz)

#  61.60        for 1024 x 786  (60hz)

#  120          for 1280 x 1024 (66hz) 

In summary, there is nothing prohibiting this except for the fact that the drivers in XFree86 are not yet finished.

If you want a more technical explanation: Voodoo Rush support requires X server changes to support grabbing a buffer area in the video memory on the AT3D board, as the Voodoo Rush based boards need to store their back buffer and z buffer there. This memory allocation and locking requirement is not a 3Dfx specific problem, it is also needed e.g. for support of TV capture cards, and is thus under active development for XFree86. This means changes at the device dependend X level (thus XAA), which are currently implemented as an extension to XFree86 DGA (Direct Graphics Access, an X11 extension proposal implemented in different ways by Sun and XFree86, that is not part of the final X11R6.1 standard and thus not portable). It might be part of an XFree86 GLX implementation later on. The currently distributed X servers assume they have full control of the framebuffer, and use anything that is not used by the visual region of the framebuffer as pixmap cache, e.g. for caching fonts.

Edited by smurfy