Install Crash

Guest kgls13349

Guest kgls13349

Ok i know this is about an out of date version but please bear with me,

Ive had Mandrake 8.0 installed on one of my old machines which i was learning the basics and now i dcided to install it on my main machine but when i go to do a clean install it crashs, all i can get up is the initial mandrake screen that gives you the option of expert install or standard, either way the screen goes blank and my machine freezes, i tried installing it on another of my newer machines a 1ghz pentium3 and the same thing happened, yet it worked fine on my old duron 900mhz ,

My machine:

Athlon XP 2000+

Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 mboard

XFX Geforce 4 Ti4200

30gb samsung HDD

Sony DVD Rom

Thats about it, oh and ive followed th install instructions int he manual to the letter and the same thing happens,

I would ber VERY VERY Gratefull if anyone had any ideas whats going on

THANK YOU

hi, just want to suggest, maybe u should check at the mandrake website if ur new hardware are already supported with the mandrake distro u have, as u have said that the Mandrake u have in hand works fine with ur older machine but not with the new one, so it shouldnt be a cd installer problem, maybe a hardware support problem... i would like to suggest also that u should try mandrake 10 release.. :)

Guest kgls13349

Bugger, it doesnt matter even if i was to upgrade to mandrake 10, even that doesnt have my motherboard listed, crap that means im stuck with shi**y windows

Thanks anyway :(:(:(

On one of my machines I have a Soyo mobo - if I look at the manufacturers web site (.com) it would say the board is Linux compatible. If I looked at a Soyo web site nearer home, Linux wasn't even mentioned. I had 3 weeks of install nightmare.

Then I did this to my bios and all is fine and dandy.

If your Mobo is one of their registered, then they confirm that all of thier Bios Upgrades supports all linux versions.

Its fairly cheap. You'll get 2 emails - one with instructions and the other with the upgrade and it only took me a few minutes to sort out.

Guest kgls13349

now i think about it my old computers hardware isnt listed as supporting linux either but it still works,

on a partly good note ive managed to actually get art way into the installer on my slightly older p3 machine, i have no idea why its now decided to work, i havnt changed a thing and yet suddenly it works!, but the problem im geting now is just after selecting the mouse on the installer i get an error message saying

"Error Opening sda" and i have no idea what that means

Any more ideas peeps ?

THANKS

the problem im geting now is just after selecting the mouse on the installer i get an error message saying

"Error Opening sda" and i have no idea what that means

Sounds as if you have a partion problem here. When you installed, did you let the installer set the partitions or did you partition manually. Are you dual booting?

Guest kgls13349
Sounds as if you have a partion problem here.  When you installed, did you let the installer set the partitions or did you partition manually. Are you dual booting?

I havnt got as far as partitioning i dont think, the hard drive im using used to have windows xp on it but of formatted it to fat32 just so it was blank and then tried installing mandrake

Edited by kgls13349