/etc/resolve.conf overwritten

Guest Shakes

I have configured my NIC to use DHCP. This works fine and I get my IP as expected from the router. The problem is I have slow resolving of hosts when I use Mozilla. I have discovered this is because Mandrake has set my /etc/resolve.conf to contain:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

nameserver 62.241.162.200

nameserver 62.241.160.200

As far as I can see it's plucked these numbers out of the air. The router is on 192.168.0.1 and gets it's DNS server automatically from the ISP.

Whenever I change the /etc/resolve.conf file it is overwritten again on reboot. I want it to stay as I left it.

How do I get Mandrake to leave it untouched?

I have tried setting the file permissions to read only for everyone but it still changes it on reboot.

I'm sorry if this topic has been seen before but I have been spending hours searching the internet for how to fix this. Every forum I find where people have the same problem seems to not have a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Shakes

yeah I think your right. I set it up to be static and it seems to be working. I'll just keep it as static for the sake of this. Thanks. :thanks: (EDIT: Please look below as this hasn't actually worked)

Edited by Shakes

I have had a look in /etc/sysconfig and grepped for "127.0.0.1" to see what might be setting that as the first DNS server. The only files I find are :

network-scripts/ifcfg-lo:IPADDR=127.0.0.1

networking/ifcfg-lo:IPADDR=127.0.0.1

I dunno what these are referring to since my NIC is eth0 and there is an ifcfg-eth0 file for that. Anyone know what the files returned are for or if they are relevant to my problem?

• 2 weeks later...
I have had a look in /etc/sysconfig and grepped for "127.0.0.1" to see what might be setting that as the first DNS server.  The only files I find are :

network-scripts/ifcfg-lo:IPADDR=127.0.0.1

networking/ifcfg-lo:IPADDR=127.0.0.1

I dunno what these are referring to since my NIC is eth0 and there is an ifcfg-eth0 file for that.  Anyone know what the files returned are for or if they are relevant to my problem?

<in Running Linux, 4th Edition : "127.0.0.1 is the address of the system itself, by default". It means your system is connected to itself, "isolated from the world", hence you can't get to the web if it is your addresse by default..