Ubuntu info

jlc

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as it has been said in other threads, even recently, eventually it doesn't matter. It breaks. None of the pkg managers are smart enough to deal with all the /etc/config file though synaptic and rpmdrake at least asked what do to usually. They both end up breaking things sooner or later and a fresh install will be necessary. I face this now on my mandrake that has gone from 9.1 to 10.2. Probs started really showing themselves in 10.1. I must also say that it probably would have lasted a little longer if I wasn't cooker, but for the most part it is the same. Urpmi and apt-get doesn't ask what to do about config files. Those that use apt-get or urpmi from init 3 are better to use synaptic or rpmdrake from X. It will sometimes ask what to do with the config files that control the app you are upgrading. ;)

Guest tnilsson

I am an old Mandrake user. I have been using Mandrake since release 8.1.

It is a nice distribution. Recently I am also running Ubuntu Linux on my old

Thinkpad T20. It is working so great!

On my main workstation at home I am running Mandrake 10.1.

:thanks:

I was goofing around with a custom made font intended to be like the ubuntu font that was sent to me. The 'wallpapers' are completely transparent except for the font. They're not anything special but I thought someone might dig one. Oh, they're 1280x1024

http://bvc.kernow-webhosting.com/theme/wallpaper/ubuntu/

Edited by bvc

Okay check this:

[from distro watch]

1 Ubuntu 1846<

2 Mandrakelinux 1460>

3 MEPIS 1365<

4 Fedora 1194>

5 SUSE 1162>

6 Debian 955>

7 Slackware 808<

8 Xandros 712<

9 Gentoo 708>

10 KNOPPIX 669>

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Ubuntu logo sucks, default colour scheme sucks, gnome sucks and I don't like their superuser management. Besides I got Gnome artefacts while running KDE on it.

Until the Kubuntu is ready, there is nothing in it for me, except of synaptic which I love, but synaptic is also in other distros (Libranet for example)

---

Now that I've finished sounding like a little, annoyed kid I want to say, that I need it to run KDE flawlesly. Ubuntu is nice, but for a Gnome user and I hate Gnome.

---

Besides I'm used to Mandrake and like it quite much, I see no reason to change distros, but apt-get (synaptic) and MDK is a bit too bloated for me, but.. I can cope with it, I like Mandrake.

well....there's a switch...a gnome hater :cheesy:

I don't like the 'shade' of brown they chose but the colors or are what is 'in' right now in the 'designers/graphics world'. But imagine your ceo having a ubuntu/brown desktop?...with inblurstrial? :cheeky:

logo sure beats the hay out of a star :lol2: ..

doh...look at my avatar

logos generally have always sucked for all distros ;) ...but then, I haven't come up with a better idea have you?.. so .... ;)

Edited by bvc

Well I hate to have to admit it but Jet2k5 is back on Ubuntu :) :cheeky:

After medeling with Linux for a while I've decided that I want a distro that is both stable & up-to-date . Ubuntu seems to be doing those very very well.

The main reason for giving ubuntu another try is that I have a very crappy ATI card on this laptop and almost no drivers work with it :) which means that I never have DRI unless I do a kernel compile. Which I had to do 3 times in mdk, and let me tell you it was a pain in the ass.

However ubuntu has DRI on my computer from a fresh install! So this distro is deff. staying on my box, no matter what.

I'm now off to try my iPod, I've seen that cybrjackle has apperently got his working :) so I'm of to try it, and maybe I can get rid of windows for once and for all :beer:

I guess it's good to be back?!?

-Luis

Well I hate to have to admit it but Jet2k5 is back on Ubuntu :)  :cheeky:

welcome back to our family... we do not love to loose some of our family members, don't we, my friend? one day you will go out there and might never come back. that would be a shame.... right?

Vito Corleone :pimp2: