Ubuntu info

jlc

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm running this at 60Hz and there is no other refreshrate available. Everything is otherwise just great: fonts etc render perfectly and the display is crisp and clear. I'll try to run the configuration agan, but I got to figure out the correct refreshartes first. HP/Compac is not giving very much infromation, though...

Thanks for the hints!

Hashimoto

Well, I'm running this at 60Hz and there is no other refreshrate available. Everything is otherwise just great: fonts etc render perfectly and the display is crisp and clear. I'll try to run the configuration agan, but I got to figure out the correct refreshartes first. HP/Compac is not giving very much infromation, though... 

Thanks for the hints!

Hashimoto

What does xresprobe & ddcprobe show?

One of the coolest things with Debian is apt-get as everyone knows, but for me it's becoming a sweet thing to have.

amd64 is turning to be a pain in the you know whooooOO.

Atleast with Debian, I've been able to add repo's like:

deb-src http://apt.cerkinfo.be/ unstable main contrib non-free

and rebuild the packages for lame and stuff like that, keep in mind I didn't add the "deb" line because i would get i386 and I want x86_64 packages. (remember 64 is pain)

anyway, atleast with just adding the deb-src I can use apt (or wajig) to rebuild packages with x86_64

ex.

apt-get source -b lame or wajig build lame

End result:

$ ls ../lame/

lame-3.96.1 lame_3.96.1-0.1.dsc

lame_3.96.1-0.1_amd64.changes lame_3.96.1.orig.tar.gz

lame_3.96.1-0.1_amd64.deb libmp3lame0_3.96.1-0.1_amd64.deb

lame_3.96.1-0.1.diff.gz libmp3lame-dev_3.96.1-0.1_amd64.deb

That goes out, grabs the source for lame from cerkinfo or were ever apt fines the lame package d/l and builds for my arch.

:banana:

http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Bui..._Packages.shtml

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howt...andling.en.html

Thanks for the hints!

Hashimoto

If you know the specs for your monitor, you can editing the XF86Config-4 file [/etc/X11/XF86Config-4]. I did that because I didi have the same problem. But be carefull so you don't blow up your monitor ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Well couldn't help myself. Taking a short break on the laptop with ubuntu to see how FC3 is. Redhat being my first distro I just have to see whats up and new with it.  :D

FX

my experience with ubuntu on my lappy was that it worked partially. display, networking was okay but all usb-devices went crazy. then i installed fedoracore3 and all usb-stuff worked instantly. :)

Tried to install FC3 twice last night and both times failed at CD 3. So I gave up. I think its either a bad burn or crappy cd's. (Durabrand). It took about 45 mins. to get that far. In 45 mins I had my Ubuntu system back to just about where I was when I started the FC 3 install. :cheeky:

I'll stay with Ubuntu!!!!!!

Tried to install FC3 twice last night and both times failed at CD 3. So I gave up. I think its either a bad burn or crappy cd's. (Durabrand). It took about 45 mins. to get that far. In 45 mins I had my Ubuntu system back to just about where I was when I started the FC 3 install.  :cheeky:

I'll stay with Ubuntu!!!!!!

me too... on my private desktop. :D

i wished ubuntu would work flawless on my lappy.... :mellow: