Bad fonts after the latest Mandrake 10 update

mistinthenight

After installing the latest Mandrake 10 XFree update. the fonts quality (mostly noticeable in the web pages) got worse. I've asked in usenet and it seems to be a general problem with this upgrade.

My question is: how can I downgrade to the official libfreetype6 package ? A possible way to do this would be to uninstall the entire libfreetype6 dependency tree, and reinstalling it again (losing all the updates to the different packages). Do you know a better way to do this ? I think this is a rude approach :)

Thanks in advance,

Edited by mistinthenight

did you also get the xfree 75 & 100 dpi fonts & the xfree-fs (font server) packages as upgrades? not sure, but it sounds as if you might be missing one/some of those. if that's not the case, you can try uninstalling xfree by exiting X completely (in a terminal as root type init 3 (enter). that will kill X & drop you at command prompt. login & su to root, then do urpme xfree86-(version number). just look at the depends it might want to take with it before you agree to it's removal. it SHOULD only want to take relevant xfree packages, but depending on your install, it might want other things. if the removal is successful, then in terminal as root do urpmi xfree & choose the xfree package you want to install.

Chris

Edited by chris z