10.1 CE in VMWare

sitor

Hello,

I tried to install 10.1 CE in VMWare, and the installation worked fine. However when I rebooted after the install, it would not boot in X. All goes well (there one failure to mount something, but that does not seem to be the showstopper), untill it wants to go into runlevel 5 and wants to start the Xserver. That does simply not work.

Could it be that Xorg is not supported by VMWare? I searched the knowledge of VMWare but there was no mention of Xorg at all.

Anyone with some helpfull hints?

I installed from the same discs on a test PC at work and that went pretty OK, no problem whatsoever. So the discs are fine.

Ciao,

Sitor

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

OK, I got it solved.

Just for anyone else that would want to get it running, this is how I did it (thanks to the help of some nice people on the Mandrakeclub, so it is usefull to me).

Mind you, I'm not at all an expert in these kind of stuff, so there might be a much better way, but this worked for me.

1. I installed Mandrake specifying that it should not launch x on booting (otherwise it tries and VMWare shows the 4 screens and you cannot read what you are doing).

2. I logged in as root.

3. I ran the xf86cfg command to start xconfig. It is a little bit searching how the interface works, but it was possible to change the adapter to vesa vesa as Joerg suggested on the Mandrakeclub forum.

4. I ran the startx command to get into KDE. That did work (took a while), but the resolution was not OK (the desktop did not fit on the screen). However, using the scrollbars that were present in VMWare I could get to the menu button which allowed me to launch the Mandrake Control Centre (MCC). This allowed me to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 (it was set to 800x600, which was the cause of the problem).

5. I logged of as root. Could not startx as normal user, but I could after rebooting.

6. After the rebooting I logged in as normal user and did startx again. This time I got into KDE as normal user with the good resolution. After that I used to MCC to enable autologin of that user and to indicate it should start X by default.

And now I can start testing.

I have just one question remaining. Is this caused by a bug in Mandrake (then I would file a bug report) or is this due to VMWare not supporting Xorg yet or something (then a bug report makes no sense)?

Ciao,

Sitor

• 5 months later...
Guest mark280470

Hmmm.

This didn't work for me. I selected Vesa Vesa but still got the four screens.

Maybe the machine I'm on? (IBM T30 laptop)

Or are there any other details I'm missing???

Thanks in advance.