Vmware or Win4lin

repdeck

I'm am running Mandrake 10.0 and want to be able to run my windows programs on Linux. I tried wine but it doesn't run my games. I was wondering if Vmware is easier to install then Win4lin on Mandrake 10.0 with kernel version 2.6.3-7mdk and could someone give me detailed instructions on how to istall the easier one. If you need more information please ask.

VMware is great but it doesn't support DirectX, so no games.

What games are you trying to run? did you look at cedega? (mixed bag there too, so check compatibility. I gave cedega a try and gave up on it.)

Since you need a valid windows license in VMware you might as well do a dual boot system and install windows on the "real" computer rather than a virtual one in VMware.

Or do what I do and have an entorely separate machine for gaming under windows.

I'm for games I am mainly looking at Flight Simulators. I have Ms Flight Sim 98, 2004 and Combat Fs and Combat and 2004 don't run under cedega but the website doesn't say anything about 98. If I can't run them then I will need to find some good ones to run on Linux.

As for OSes I have the Win95, 98, NT 4.0, 200 and xp installion disks.

I am curntey dual booting Xp and Madrake but I find it is a bit of a hassel to reboot all the time.

If I cann't run my games then I also who like to run MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver and Corel Painter.

If I cann't run my games then I also who like to run MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Flash and Dreamweaver and Corel Painter.

These will all run perfectly in win4lin but you need to install a win4lin enabled kernel and have a copy of win98 or winME. There's also a nice flight simulator program for linux called flight gear:

http://www.flightgear.org/

You can find a mandrake rpm for it on the mandrake contrib site.

These will all run perfectly in win4lin but you need to install a win4lin enabled kernel and have a copy of win98 or winME.

There are no precompiled kernel on the site for Mandrake 10, the generic ones don't work and I don't know how to aplly a patch file.

repdek,

what version of vmware are you using?

does it work?

do you have access to network, sound and webcamera devices in the emulated win?

great day!

I download 4.5.2 but I haven't gotten it installed yet. I need the kernel source but can't find it on my system and I don't want to upgrade my kernel if I can aviod it.

There's also a nice flight simulator program for linux called flight gear:

I tried it but I keep getting an error.

Some package requested cannot be installed:
flightgear-0.9.5-2mdk.src (due to unsatisfied openal-devel)
do you agree ?

Edited by repdeck

There are no precompiled kernel on the site for Mandrake 10, the generic ones don't work and I don't know how to aplly a patch file.

If you simply run the Win4Lin GUI installer, it will automatically download and install a generic 2.6 kernel, including adding it to your choices of kernels to choose at boot. Netraverse (the Win4lin people) always does considerable testing on Mandrake. This kernel is well tested and known to work fine with 10.0.

There are *exact* replacement kernels (i.e. the original Mandrake kernels with no changes except the Win4Lin patch applied) thoughtfully compiled and made available for all by Buchan Milne, available in the Contributors section. Sorry, I'm goofin' off at work right now and don't have the link handy. Anyway, add contrib to your urpmi sources and just install the kernel via urpmi. Then run the Win4Lin installer to load the program, it will detect the patched kernel.

Be aware that although Win4Lin is terrific, very fast and stable, it does not support hardware DirectX (software DirectX only). Vmware is just too slow for gaming and costs a bundle. If you need to run games requiring Direct X support, like pmpatrick said, your best bet is Cedega or dual-booting.

Make sure you are installing Win4Lin v5. Win4Lin v4 and earlier does not work with a 2.6 kernel. If you have Win4Lin v4 and don't want to ante up for the upgrade to v5, you can still make it go by running a 2.4 kernel.

If you already have Win4Lin v5, go to:

https://www.netraverse.com:9100/lists/

to access the archives for the Win4Lin mailing list:

win4lin-users@netraverse.com

This question has been covered there several times and you'll get a better descripion of the fix than I can remember here at work right now. A quick search of the list archives should give you the help you need, or just post your question to the list if you can't find the answer. Not only is the help there from other users very good, but the developers themselves watch it closely and often post answers, usually the same day. No one has better customer support than Netraverse.

Edited by Crashdamage