HD Is too corrupted for me.

Guest ThePro

I Have 4 HDs. C: Drive is 40GB and Windows takes 8GB of that. The rest (30GB) is formatted and left unpartitioned and im trying to install Mandrake into it.

After accepting the licence i get this error "This harddrive is too corrupted for me", or something like that, and it wants to "Format all partitions". It also says something about HDC and 30GB. Does this mean that it found the unpartitioned space and wants to format that? I Dont have any other partition taking 30GB so it has to be the unpartitioned space? Or is it trying to format some other drives? I Cant be sure and i don't want to lose data on the other drives.

Yes I'm a noob, help me! :thanks:

Umm, yeah. Maybe it's my bad english.

I Used PartitionMagic to "Delete" the space. So now the first hd has 8GB C: (NTFS) and 30GB Unallocated space. Is it possible to take a screenie during the installation? Maybe that would help more.

use partitionmagic to format the unallocated space into e.g. ext2 or ext3 format. if the space is unformatted, thus unallocated, the installer will try to install into the windows-partition, which is also heavily fragmented as far as i can conclude from your information.

once the hd-space you want to use for linux is in ext2 or ext3 format, the installer should have no problems installing the new os.

Well, that didn't help at all. Now, Instead of the error screen the install just freezes at the same place. The wait cursor appears and CD stops, I waited about 3 mins but

nothing happens.

I Used PM to format to Linux Ext2.

uh... i think i just figured out what went wrong... the ntfs partition is causing trouble. so, if you can, do the following setup with partitionmagic:

partition 1: your windows partition as it is. after that one, there should be

partition 2: linux-swap (size: double number of your total ram, e.g. if you have 256 mbram, make the partition at least 512mb big, if possible). putting the swap between the linux and the windows partition will stop some irritating beahvior of win and/or linux. now add after the swap partition

partition 3: size roughly 5gb. here you place your root directory → "/ " later when mandrake installs. for now, leave this space as an ext2 or ext3 partition. you can change it later with mandrake to reiserfs which is imho even better. then allocate the rest of your space to

partition 4: where you put all your personal data. this partition will be called "/home" once you run the mandrake installer. make this partition also to ext2 or ext3 with partitionmagic and change it to reiserfs later with mandrake.

i hope it will work now.... if not, continue posting.

:)

Converting to FAT didnt help.

Then i tried a Gentoo live CD and it outputted this:

Invalid loop location /zisofs

Please export LOOP with a valid location...

/bin/ash: can't access tty:

/newroot #

I have no idea what that means. Something important?

I Also tried installing Mandrake in textmode and it freezed when it tried to "detect harddrives"

Tomorrow i will remove all the extra drives and do what I was originally doing. Going with unpartitioned hd.

If it really does format everything, is it possible to install Windows after Mandrake?