Hardware firewall settings

GregHolg

I just bought a broadband router (a cheapie I don't doubt was made in China or something), that has firewall capabilites built-in, but some of the options mean nothing to me, and the manual sucks big time. Not only that, but it seems to assume that one knows what ports any application uses, which I don't.

I want to turn the firewall on, but want to make sure I and my roomate can play online (games like LSN, America's Army, Serious Sam, etc).

How do you have yours configured? Any help/info/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Your friend, Greg.

Most games nowadays are designed to work through a firewall, only if you want to host a game (run a server, dedicated or not) will you generally have to mess with the firewall.

So try it first, you might be happily surprised.

If a game doesn't work, the first thing to do is to find the ports that need to be open for that particular game. The readme, support page or firums will generally provide that information. Port usually include a protocol (UDP or TCP) and a port number or a port range.

How you actually open a port on your router depends on the router, you should at least post the brand/model number if you want any help with that, read the manual first.

Note that some routers do not let you enable any port but have a list of "precanned" ports that you choose from a drop down list. If that's the case and they don;t have the ports you want, check for a firmware upgrade for the router that might offer more ports, or buy another router (that;s why its better to research those things before you buy).

Edited by papaschtroumpf