Sound Card Configuration in MDK10

Guest Gonnamakethiswork

Guest Gonnamakethiswork

:help:

I have finally made the switch over from XP to Mandrake LInux and everything seems to be running ok with the dual boot setup.

I am running the following hardware/software config:

Gigabyte PIII Motherboard with a P3-733

512 Mb Ram

3 Hard Disks

1 LG DVD Reader / CDR-RW Writer

Onboard sound card (Disabled in Bios)

Sound Blaster Live

Matrox MGA450 Dual Head Video Card 32MB

3COM 905 B-TX NIC PCI Card.

Here is my problem:

Kmix doesn't launch properly, it starts then dissapears. My feeling is , there are 2 sound cards listed in the hardware control panel and Kmix is confused, not knowing which one to go to. This problem only appears in KDE. In GNOME, the mixer works just fine. Is there a way for me to tell LINUX no to load the drivers for the onboard sound card at all or even to whipe it out completely from the start up files so that only the PCI card will be activated? I am very new at this and not sure how to go about it, any help would be appreciated.

:thanks:

Olivier Damiron, Montreal, Canada

Guest Gonnamakethiswork
Try launching kcontrol from a console and go to Sound (maybe Sound Server) and either disable it or set it to timeout after 1 second.

Thanks for the reply, still no luck. I have been lookng all over the place to find a way to disable the bloody onboard sound card (which is already disabled in the bios) to no avail so far. Worst is, I am sure it's really simple, if only I knew where to go and what to edit!

Guest Gonnamakethiswork
Can you post here the contents of your /etc/modprobe.conf file?

Hi Steve,

Here it is my modprobe.conf file contents:

alias sound-slot-1 es1371

alias eth0 3c59x

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-uhci; /bin/true

remove snd-emu10k1 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

The onboard sound card is a Sound Blaster 64 with an Ensoniq chipset, sounds awfull, really cheap stuff, and LInux is loading the es1371driver for that , it is turned off in the BIOS (I did this after installing Mandrake, hoping that it would solve the problem, I guess I should have done it before)

The snd-emu10K1 is the driver Linux loads for the SoundBlaster LIve, the card I want to make active by default. I can play audio cds and control the volume with the slider built in to the player but I still can't start Kmix. All the system sounds work, errors beeps and such. Very strange!

thanks again for your help.

perhaps you have to create a file named .asoundrc at your home dir..

with this in it :

pcm.emu10k1 {
          type hw
          card 0
       }

ctl.emu10k1 {
          type hw
          card 0
       }

i hope this would help you..and maybe you should comment the lines for that other sound card.. fpr ypur modprobe.conf

# alias sound-slot-1 es1371

alias eth0 3c59x

install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

remove snd-emu10k1 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

Edited by sir_max

Guest Gonnamakethiswork

Thanks Steve and Sir Max for your suggestions, in the end, I removed the first line in the modprobe.conf file and Kmix now works everytime I boot into KDE.

# alias sound-slot-1 es1371 (<This line is gone!)

alias eth0 3c59x

What a sweet operating system, I love the attention to detail, things like the fact that PDF files can be read right off the bat without hassle, and I can read my NTSF and FAT32 partitions, it's brilliant. At this point, the only drawback is the fact that I have trouble playing Windows Media files but I am sure there's a way to fix that. Thanks again for the help, happy to be part of this great family.

Olivier Damiron (Has not booted Windows in 48 hours and already feeling better :P )

Montreal, Canada

What a sweet operating system, I love the attention to detail, things like the fact that PDF files can be read right off the bat without hassle, and I can read my NTSF and FAT32 partitions, it's brilliant. At this point, the only drawback is the fact that I have trouble playing Windows Media files but I am sure there's a way to fix that. Thanks again for the help, happy to be part of this great family.

Olivier Damiron (Has not booted Windows in 48 hours and already feeling better :P )

Montreal, Canada

perhaps you should install win32-codecs-1.6-3plf.i586.rpm from plf, you can add plf as source with this line: (this is just an example you can choose from several servers at this link with easyurpmi:

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

at the comand line as root...

those codecs have all windows codecs.. and have it and doesn't have any problem with my wmv files :D

Bye ;)

• 2 years later...
Guest Bettina Germany

Hi olivier, actually i can not really help you with that special problem, but we know eachother from many years ago. would be happy if you contact me!!! bettina buchholz- germany. frankfurt

bettina ;)

Guest Gonnamakethiswork
Hi olivier, please get in contact with me. greetings from bettina germany

Hi Bettina !

I just sent you a PM on your mandriva message center with all my details.

That's amazing, it's been 19 years almost !

Cheers!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Olivier